Rock Climbing

Options
Hi everyone

I'm interested in connecting with people that are into rock climbing. I'm brand new to the sport and would appreciate any tips or advice out there. I'm doing top rope climbing and I have completed a 5.7 course. Next goal is to get onto the 5.8 ...obviously. I will become belay certified... Baby steps baby steps!

Replies

• TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Certified to teach belaying or just to do it? I imagine if your gym offers belay certification, it's only a certification they made up. Belaying isn't hard, I learned on my first trip on an outdoor climbing expedition. First, second and third rule of belaying is to pay attention to your climber. One glance aside to look at another person, or check facebook on your phone (don't laugh, it happens) and your climber takes a 30 foot whipper that, hopefully, ends with a jerk, rather than a splat.

As to indoor top roping, don't be afraid of the chalk on harder climbs. Slopers will be impossible if you don't use chalk, even if you don't have sweaty hands.

Practice pull ups. You can do that at home with just a bar, or a branch or something. If you can do a bunch of pull ups, put on a backpack full of rocks or tie a weight plate to your belt and keep training.

Upper body strength and stamina, along with hand grip stamina, are the two things that will limit you in climbing at first. Core strength is also extremely important when you start getting into overhanging situations.
  • aarnal01
    aarnal01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Certified to teach belaying or just to do it? I imagine if your gym offers belay certification, it's only a certification they made up. Belaying isn't hard, I learned on my first trip on an outdoor climbing expedition. First, second and third rule of belaying is to pay attention to your climber. One glance aside to look at another person, or check facebook on your phone (don't laugh, it happens) and your climber takes a 30 foot whipper that, hopefully, ends with a jerk, rather than a splat.

As to indoor top roping, don't be afraid of the chalk on harder climbs. Slopers will be impossible if you don't use chalk, even if you don't have sweaty hands.

Practice pull ups. You can do that at home with just a bar, or a branch or something. If you can do a bunch of pull ups, put on a backpack full of rocks or tie a weight plate to your belt and keep training.

Upper body strength and stamina, along with hand grip stamina, are the two things that will limit you in climbing at first. Core strength is also extremely important when you start getting into overhanging situations.

While paying attention while belaying is absolutely a must, and chalk can help on holds that require friction to use, I disagree with the final 2 points here. Practicing pull-ups (especially weighted pull-ups) is not something that you should concern yourself with when you first start climbing. Just focus on climbing a lot, get on different types of routes, both easy and challenging, and get a ton of vertical mileage under your belt. Upper body strength will not be the limiting factor as you get into climbing. Technique and knowing how to efficiently move from hold to hold to minimize the amount of strength needed will be what challenges and limits you.
  • tamarbatavraham
    tamarbatavraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also just recently got into climbing a couple of months ago and am really loving it. All indoor so far, but we have a trip planned next October with friends, so I've got about a year to up my game!

I climbed my first (relatively easy) 5.9s AND my first V1 last night , so I'm feeling pretty good about that right now. There are still plenty of V0s and 5.8s kicking my butt though! Just have to try harder!

Today is my first day using the MFP app (switching from Sparkpeople, since I'm getting the Vivofit HR this weekend). Did MFP have groups like SP does, so you can connect with like minded folks, or just the message boards?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I started climbing in early October and am now climbing 5.9s and am starting easier 5.10s. I'm only on V2s bouldering. While upper body strength is important in climbing, it isn't that crucial when you are climbing 5.8s. If you are using your upper body to pull yourself up, you aren't climbing smart. Legs should always take priority. Climbing often will improve your grip strength. You can also try just hanging from a pull up bar or doorway.

Belaying isn't hard. My gym uses Grigri 2s, and I can belay my husband who is about 70 lbs heavier than me. The hard part is belaying my 5 year old who has taken to climbing! She is so light, she won't come down unless I feed the rope through :P She has just finished all the 5.4s at our gym and is moving on to trying 5.6s!

I am hoping to learn lead climbing in the spring :)
  • dtsbrown
    dtsbrown Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love rock climbing. I have been doing it for a year now. It is a fantastic burn and builds great muscle tone in arms, shoulders back and legs. Outdoor climbing is totally different than indoor both are fantastic. I recommend getting rock climbing shoes. Having your own is nice, they are not over worn like the rentals. I love my five ten Anasazi, they are actually mens but are pink. So comfortable. Having your own harness is nice as well. REI sells harnesses with chalk bags and ATC for belaying.
  • shanegan160
    shanegan160 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Pumpin, I've been climbing for two years now. I am also looking for rock climbing friends. I've got some helpful work out tips I could share and maybe we could try to reach our climbing difficulty goals! I'm a confident 5.10 climber, looking to make the jump to 5.11 and 5.11 lead climbing.

What's your climbing goal?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Pumpin,

I have been climbing for for 11 years and my advice to any beginner is as follows:

1- Become a competent and safe belayer. Learn how to use both an ATC and a Gri Gri. The belay certification at your gym is a great place to start
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Anyone who is into climbing feel free to friend request me. I started climbing six months ago and have climbed outdoors in three different states now. I still occasionally climb indoors but there is nothing in comparison to bring outdoors. I have been climbing 5.9-5.10 walls.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I love rock climbing. Make sure you spend some time climbing outdoors, obviously with qualified people.
  • bouldermal
    bouldermal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I also just started rock climbing 2.5 months ago and absolutely love it. I stick to bouldering though. Besides the actual climbing the people are so friendly! I've already made several friends and know the names of many members.

I've been focusing a lot on technique (footwork, preplanning routes,etc) and have found it helps tremendously. I'm worried I'll only use strength for the intro grades which becomes problematic later.

I've been taking technique lessons from my gyms owner. Highly recommend it! After my first lesson I felt an instant improvement.

Right now I am climbing V3's 100% success first try, working on and have completed many V4's and V5's. I'd recommend trying a route well above your ability every now and then. I climbed one V6 and strangely a V9 (i swear!) this way. I go into them with no expectations which completely diminishes my mental hangups.

Feel free to message me! We can be newbies together :) Happy climbing!