Stomach bug - struggling to eat. Should you still train?

Options
Whats the concensus on training if your unwell? Ive got a stomach bug, and dont really have an appetite therefore not eating much. Should you still train? Or rest up and recover?

Also i pre made a whey protein shake and put it in the fridge and drunk it 5 hours later - is this a likely cause or do other people regularly do this?

Replies

• MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    Just rest up and recover - if you're not well enough to have eaten much, you probably won't have the energy to workout properly - a decent paced walk somewhere would probably do you no harm though if you want to keep moving
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No training in the gym with any kind of bug is my only opinion

The rest is personal choice, resting may be appropriate or you may feel better for being a little active
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you've got reason to suspect it's a virus of some kind, don't be that guy who goes to the gym and makes others sick! If it's just a case of being a bit unsettled in the gut, you'll have to decide how to proceed with care. Either take an additional rest day, or do a much lighter workout, since you aren't able to fuel your normal workout routine if you can't also do your normal eating routine.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Never train when I'll!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you use a gym-don't go. Rude. You'll get everyone else sick. On that note, I hope you feel better and also suggest you don't train for recovery. If you haven't been eating your workout isn't going to be on point anyway.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As an immunosuppressed person please don't go to the gym. A simple virus to you could make someone like me deathly ill.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I would not thank you if your stomach bug caused an 'outpouring' in the gym.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I would rest and take care of yourself before pushing your body even further! Not only will you prevent others from getting sick, but I noticed I got sick more often once I started going to the gym to workout. When you're there you're exposed to machines others have used so you're susceptible to even more viruses, which isn't what you want if your immune system is already weakened and trying to recover! Take it easy so you can crush your workout once you're feeling better ;)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    No! And don't touch any equipment someone else might use. Blech
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way: your body needs nutrients to both heal AND to do anything like build muscles from a work out. If you are getting few nutrients, you want them to go toward healing, not to building muscles or stamina. And on top of that, the work out you do won't do as much for you anyway, because you don't have enough nutrients in the first place.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    No gym.
    The protien drink is unlikely to be the cause. I make mine up the night before, protien powder and water, and have never had a problem drinking it a day later.

Cheers, h.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    God no.....have a break.

Apart from the real possibility of spreading your germs which is not cool, your body could do with the down time to get better.

Take it easy over the following days with the types of food you eat.....make it easy on the digestion and keep up with the fluids and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    the stomach flu is soooooo contagious. And this is definitely a rest day for you.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you really ought to stay away from work and other public places until you are clear for 48 hours from vomiting or diarrhoea.
  • PreventType2Class
    Options
    Doing this doesn't constitute good health. Look after yourself and get well, you need your energy to heal. I'm sure your shake didn't make you sick.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Rest and recover. If you're not well enough to eat, the. You're not well enough to train. You can't heal while running on empty.