Advice required: I feel like I can't get passed my starting point. Help please.

Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It can be challenging to log foods when you aren't exactly sure of content or volume. Do the best you can. And be kinder to yourself. You can do this!
  • nkluet
    nkluet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of taking food with you, so you aren't so tempted to stop for treats. There are lots of good ideas here! I have found that if I have sweets in my house, that is what I want to eat. I'm doing better with choosing healthier foods at the grocery store. I do know that if I deprive myself, I will most likely go crazy eating junk (eventually). For me, I am better off to get something like a small ice cream cone, or small package of M&Ms) when I'm out, rather than buy a whole container or big bag that will be too tempting if in my freezer or cupboard.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 - do not go to the bakery hungry. :)

Seriously though, as others have mentioned, I can do very well if I plan my meals and don't let myself get hungry. As soon as I get hungry all bets are off and I will eat anything and everything. I'm also one to have a snack or two on hand so that I can avoid that for those times when I don't have food or something has come up and I can't eat when I planned.

And like others have said, small steps. Start being consistent. And start focusing on the small changes that you ARE making instead of the mistakes you are making.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've been at this 18 months and still would not want to go into the bakery! Torture! I walk through the bakery section at the grocery store very fast. And without looking around.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    What you can also try is to plan your day in advance. I always try my best to plan every single thing I'm going to eat for the day. This way, I make sure to include my cookies and make them fit into my calorie budget. And knowing what I will eat the WHOLE day, and not just logging as my day goes along, also prevents me from going off plan. So if I didn't plan it, I'm not eating it.

Good luck!

Yup, that's exactly my approach, although I usually leave a few hundred calories over for an evening snack which I choose on the day of (I have a few options I like that are decently low in calories).
  • KhawlaBG
    KhawlaBG Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When we are hungry, we do the worst choices, because our body will shout for fat and carbs...
    The advices I try to follow: never go to the market or to the bakery hungry.
    In such situations, go for drinking water to calm down your stomach.
  • pilotsroo
    pilotsroo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @3dogsrunning unrelated but you have a beautiful profile picture! Thank you everyone, I really do have to work on planning my days.
  • TiffanyRenayWright18
    Options
    I have tried to diet and lose weight several times and just end up going up. I'm at my heaviest point however this is my turning point. We can do this!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You need to learn self control. Don't worry, it takes time. If you mess up a few times in the beginning, don't beat yourself up over it. Just move on and do better tomorrow. The important thing is that you're learning new habits, but you won't break your old ones overnight.

Plan for some treats if you want. The best thing I did was trying out different foods to find what filled me and learning to always plan for a snack between meals. Getting enough protein and fat really helps too. When it comes to carbs, fiber-rich carbs will fill you up faster.
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Wow...lots of great advice! I have had trouble getting started myself. I have a really hard time staying away from the fast food. I shouldn't eat it anymore because of my recent surgery (not for weightloss) but I just keep derailing myself.

I think I will be getting a small ice chest for my car to keep snacks with me so when I do feel hunger coming on I will not be derailed by the fast food. That is a really good idea...thanks!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    bevkidd1 wrote: »
    Wow...lots of great advice! I have had trouble getting started myself. I have a really hard time staying away from the fast food. I shouldn't eat it anymore because of my recent surgery (not for weightloss) but I just keep derailing myself.

I think I will be getting a small ice chest for my car to keep snacks with me so when I do feel hunger coming on I will not be derailed by the fast food. That is a really good idea...thanks!

You could also find some non cold snacks. Nuts, applesauce cups, various bars, veggies.
  • HealthyChar1223
    HealthyChar1223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I am still working on my habits. Takeing food with you and planning ahead really helps. Some people have weeks to months planned out but I'm not on that level I just plan one to two days ahead. I make bigger dinners when I'm up for it and freeze some extra, and make lunch for the next day with it. I also buy some fruit and veggies and have fruit in the mornings and veggies to snake on after noon. I still fall off track here and there but I'm at the point where I'm starting to crave junk less and my new habits more. Drinking lots of water helps too. I aim for about a gallon a day which seems like a lot but I feel so much better and I have lost a few inches the first few weeks from not being as bloated. Just take it one day at a time don't worry about going over one day, use it as motivation for the next day.