How do you eat your oatmeal??

Options
JesaGrace
JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
I've been trying to eat oatmeal to add a little variety to my diet....but every time, it just seems to be so tasteless.....and it gets all thick so quickly.....how do you make your oatmeal taste better??

Replies

• Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    with water, cinnamon, a banana and some peanut butter, microwaved for a few minutes, stirring every minute. Then I add a splash of skimmed milk to cool it down and enjoy!
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and some splenda brown sugar... YUM.. Could eat it 3 times a day
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like it plain I like it cold, with apples and cinnomon, or almonds and crasisns, peaches and pecans,,butter and milk,..add it to a smoothie.....pecans,...thick or thin...its all good to me :-)
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Plain with a freshly sliced banana. Delicious!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is healthy eating sacrilege, but I go traditional: cinnamon, milk, and brown sugar. Maybe some raisins if I have them.

Really, I don't see the problem with the brown sugar! I not piling on cups of it, it tastes GREAT and makes me love my oatmeal even more, and, TARNATION, it makes me think of grandma's house!
  • adellepuppy
    adellepuppy Posts: 130
    Options
    Unsweetened coconut shreds and a little agave
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    scoop strawberry protein and a hand full of blue berries. its great and very filling
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    cinnamon and brown sugar. I do like the McDonalds oatmeal with the craisins and apples.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    add yogurt, yum yum
  • ksgullickson
    Options
    We usually do the steel cut oats (great texture) with vanilla almond milk (adds a bit of sweetness), cinnamon, raisins or craisins. Sometimes we'll just do whatever fruit we have on hand--like apples, raspberries or blueberries--and some agave nectar to sweeten.
  • swayzine
    swayzine Posts: 6
    Options
    I just started eating oatmeal and I'm 59 years old. My son brought home some McD's maple and fruit oatmeal. I liked it!!! I was totally surprised how it tasted. My mom could never get me to eat it. Now I cook it for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. I buy the old fashioned Quaker Oats. I don't like the instant because I'm trying to get away from processed foods. I cook it the old fashioned way. You can buy 100% pure maple syrup and add some brown sugar if you want. I also chop up red & granny smith apples. And, I cranraisins. I'm getting my fruits at the same time. It really makes the oatmeal taste better. Try it!!!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    with a tablespoon each of peanut butter and honey and a sliced banana in it. YUM!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    with red raspberries, a splash of skim milk to cool and thin it, and drink it down like a smoothie
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Someone on the forums here suggested adding an egg to oatmeal, and holy crap it is actually delicious (I cook mine most of the way with water first, then temper the egg a bit and add it in, then finish microwaving). I add cinnamon, sometimes vanilla soy or almond milk, a little pure maple syrup or brown sugar, and some fruit (usually banana and blueberries).
    So. Good.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The only way I can eat oatmeal is very thick and room temperature and I like it with cinnamon. Probably would enjoy it in other flavours but I tend to find something I like and just stick with it.
  • xLissyx
    xLissyx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Milk, peanut butter, reduced sugar strawberry jam :love:
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ieat rolled oats or steel cut oats every single day for breakfast and never get tired - that being said I spend 1/2 my time in the bulk section at the grocery store shopping for add-ins. They take over my pantry...I love it because they double as easy snacks or trail-mix.

Some examples:

1/4 cup dry oatmeal or steel-cut oats (so much better than rolled) prepared, PLUS:

1 tablespoon nut butter
    10 extra dark chocolate chips
    1/2 banana
    1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
    add sweetner if you need it

1 tablespoon nut butter
    1/2 banana
    2 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
    1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup

1 tablespoon nut butter
    1/2 diced apple
    flax, chia and wheat germ
    cinnamon

2 tablespoons pineapple juice
    1 tbsp chopped pecans or macadamia nuts
    1-2 tbsp UNSWEETENED coconut flakes
    1/2 banana

Of course...if sweet isn't your thing add savory. Like all the toppings for a taco or baked potato. ie: Oatmeal + 1 piece of bacon crumbled and 1 tbsp each of cheddar cheese, green onions, black olives. Just be sure to balance out good fats and proteins!

I could go on forever and ever..I love getting creative with oatmeal.
  • cuckoo879
    cuckoo879 Posts: 11
    Options
    water and milk, brown sugar, maybe a little raisin.

Sometimes I add it to non-fat yogurt
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    with 2/3 cup of almond milk in the microwave for 2 minutes.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is healthy eating sacrilege, but I go traditional: cinnamon, milk, and brown sugar. Maybe some raisins if I have them.

Really, I don't see the problem with the brown sugar! I not piling on cups of it, it tastes GREAT and makes me love my oatmeal even more, and, TARNATION, it makes me think of grandma's house!

Me too!