I want to start lifting and i need advice

Options
So i am pretty underweight as of right now i would like to start lifting but i am worried with my metabolism being so high it will cause me to lose more weight. How much more should i be eating and where to i begin with weightlifting?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting your info in mfp and seeing what number it gives you ? ( I'm not being snarky, but everyone will have a different number so its one of those things you will have to take your stats paired with the goal of gaining to determine what number will be right for you ) so play around with it and see what numbers you get.

As long as your eating at a surplus, you won't lose weight . ( it might take some playing with to get your calories right. Let's say for example you where eating 2500 cals per day for a month and noticed your still losing weight then you would keep adding calories until you are no longer losing . for me it takes a while to find the correct calories . just keep a close eye on the scale and your calories and eventually you'll find your sweet spot)

For strength training, I like new rules of lifting . it will walk you through step by step and you'll find plenty of help on here with the program if you have questions. I also like stronglifts. There's plenty of great beginners programs but those are just my favorite.

• bryanna277
    bryanna277 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Have you tried putting your info in mfp and seeing what number it gives you ? ( I'm not being snarky, but everyone will have a different number so its one of those things you will have to take your stats paired with the goal of gaining to determine what number will be right for you ) so play around with it and see what numbers you get.

As long as your eating at a surplus, you won't lose weight . ( it might take some playing with to get your calories right. Let's say for example you where eating 2500 cals per day for a month and noticed your still losing weight then you would keep adding calories until you are no longer losing . for me it takes a while to find the correct calories . just keep a close eye on the scale and your calories and eventually you'll find your sweet spot)

For strength training, I like new rules of lifting . it will walk you through step by step and you'll find plenty of help on here with the program if you have questions. I also like stronglifts. There's plenty of great beginners programs but those are just my favorite.

Yea i put my info in but i havent calculated work outs. I should probably try that out. Thanks
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

this ..

enter your stats into MFP and eat to the number that it gives you ..if you do not gain then increase by 100 calories and if no gain then keep increasing by 100.

also, get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine...
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this ..

enter your stats into MFP and eat to the number that it gives you ..if you do not gain then increase by 100 calories and if no gain then keep increasing by 100.

also, get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine...

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑ Make sure you get enough protein - 1gm per lb some good fats including fish oil fill In the rest of your cals with complex carbs. Don't forget your veggies. do a full body program that focuses on the big exercises Squat, Deadlift, bench Overhead press & row. do this 3X per week . You are lean so I would limit cardio to a walk on off days. With your high metabolism don't do a long drawn out workout, hit it hard and get out of the gym , a 5X5 is good or look at Grayskull, Dan John's Mass Made Simple - Very important -- be sure you take time to rest & get good sleep. - Eastcoast Jim
  • bryanna277
    Options

this ..

How do i find these programs?
  • bryanna277
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »

this ..

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ This ↑↑↑ Make sure you get enough protein - 1gm per lb some good fats including fish oil fill In the rest of your cals with complex carbs. Don't forget your veggies. do a full body program that focuses on the big exercises Squat, Deadlift, bench Overhead press & row. do this 3X per week . You are lean so I would limit cardio to a walk on off days. With your high metabolism don't do a long drawn out workout, hit it hard and get out of the gym , a 5X5 is good or look at Grayskull, Dan John's Mass Made Simple - Very important -- be sure you take time to rest & get good sleep. - Eastcoast Jim

What do you mean by 1 gram per pound? Like what im trying to gain or what im eating?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Eat....more....often.......you need to eat "in a surplus" to gain muscle, and you're just tiny...but it is totally Doable! Start slow, start small....don't push your body too far if you're not eating enough tho, or you WILL lose more weight!!! xoxo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

this ..

Excellent advice!
  • bryanna277
    Options
    Eat....more....often.......you need to eat "in a surplus" to gain muscle, and you're just tiny...but it is totally Doable! Start slow, start small....don't push your body too far if you're not eating enough tho, or you WILL lose more weight!!! xoxo

Yea and i dont want to lose anymore weight it is already very difficult for me to gain. And honestly i havent been eating much of anything the last week. So i plan on fixing that starting today.
  • ecjim
    Options
    bryanna277 wrote: »

this ..

What do you mean by 1 gram per pound? Like what im trying to gain or what im eating?

The standard is 1 gram protein per lb of lean body weight. You are pretty lean so I would eat 1+ gm per lb of the scale weight - minimum - hard boiled eggs or nuts for snacks - eggs + oatmeal for breakfast -bananas- whole milk - you get the idea - don't do it all at once add a little more each week - and lift!! - Eastcoast Jim
  • ecjim
    Options

this

Google Grayskull LP by John Sheaffer; Mass made Simple by Dan John ; Strong lifts. Pick one and follow it for 3-4 months , eat and rest, and see what happens (With Grayskull you can skip the neck harness)

• bryanna277
    Options

this

Google Grayskull LP by John Sheaffer; Mass made Simple by Dan John ; Strong lifts. Pick one and follow it for 3-4 months , eat and rest, and see what happens (With Grayskull you can skip the neck harness)

Awesome thanks for the advice
  • ecjim
    Options
    You are welcome - time for a snack - Eastcoast Jim