So today at the gym...

Options
I was doing high rep OHPs with only a 30lb bar when this guy comes up to me. He goes 'Hey, girls shouldnt be doing that exercise, its not good for your back. You should try doing seated rows instead'

I say 'ok... Im pretty confident I wont hurt myself doing this. Are you a personal trainer?' He responds with 'uhm no, I just read it somewhere'

I put my headphones back in, mumbled 'ok bro' and continued my OHPs.

Seriously dude? Seated rows are great, but not a substitute for a pressing movement lololol

God... Im still laughing inside :D

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally different muscles worked on that one. MAYBE if he suggested seated shoulder press it would at least be logical, but still dumb. OHP is one of my favorite "core" (which includes back) exercises (and I know it's shoulders primarily).
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    and why is it specifically bad for "girls" according to this genius, I wonder if he stopped to consider. .
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Throw some weight on that bar!!!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Lol I was doing reps of 12-15.. Im pretty weak on OHP (I'm a small person haha) so I'm trying to work on form first as I can barely press the real bar yet
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

That's not helpful either. You have no idea how strong she is.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Wuh-wait...he talked to you while u had headphones in? That even more against the Code than bad advice! Burn him!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Wuh-wait...he talked to you while u had headphones in? That even more against the Code than bad advice! Burn him!

Lol i know...he made the 'hey take your headphones out so i can spew bro-science at you' gesture
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Smh gotta love these "gym experts"! This is somewhat different, but I love when guys ask me if I need a spot when I'm doing squats. Uh if I need one, I'll ask for it! I mean it's a nice gesture and all, but just because I am a woman doesn't mean I am not capable of doing squats on my own!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Clean and press ruined my wrists

I'm a girl

So n=1 (which is generally enough proof for this forum) means he's right

I keed, I keed...he's a d@uchebag
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What a jerk! I don't get why guys act like that at the gym! Specially when they see girls at the free weight section
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    What a jerk! I don't get why guys act like that at the gym! Specially when they see girls at the free weight section

"Guys" don't. Douchey guys (a small subset of "guys") do. I've belonged to 15-20 different gyms in my life and could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of guys I've seen in the gym who act like that.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've never had a guy (or girl) do this to me at the gym. Of course, it might help that I use the university gym and for 99.9% of the other users I'm old enough to be their mother. (Which means they usually think I'm a professor rather than a grad student. B) )
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »

Lol i know...he made the 'hey take your headphones out so i can spew bro-science at you' gesture

@annette_15 "bro-science" too funny!!! Thanks for the share.
  • maddi_r95
    maddi_r95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Gotta love bro science!! Smh. Its like when someone asks me why do i want to gain muscle or tell me that it will make me bulky