Need more protein packed breakfast

Options
Any suggestions besides loading up on eggs for breakfast to add more protein?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Protein bar, kodiak cakes or protein pancakes, greek yogurt, cottage cheese
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Call me a weirdo but sometimes I'll put peanut butter on my waffles or French toast instead of syrup. That's if you don't mind the fat. I tend to run pretty low on my fat macro so it works out for me. PB2 has less fat and is pretty tasty.

My wife puts nut butters in her oatmeal. And you could always do a shake. Whey powder is cheap.
  • vaavale
    vaavale Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. Just the whites not the yoke that's where the fat is , I read somewhere that it uses more cals to digest a hard boiled egg than what's in the egg.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    My breakfast. 2 cups whole fat milk, 3tbsp organic peanut butter, no salt peanut, 1 cup of berries, 1-2 cups spinach, 1 scoop of whey isolate or concentrate, fish oil, and a banana if I'm feeling it. Blend that all up and you have a wide range of aminos, some carbs and plenty of healthy fats along with minerals and anti oxidants. It winds up being a +50g protein breakfast. Plus I stay full for hours.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hemp hearts added to anything...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cheese and Chia seeds
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Breakfast protein foods - Turkey sausage, bacon, meat omelette, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, protein shake, etc.

vaavale wrote: »
    Egg whites. Just the whites not the yoke that's where the fat is , I read somewhere that it uses more cals to digest a hard boiled egg than what's in the egg.

Not true. It takes about 25% of the calories to digest protein (more or less, depending on what source they're quoting from). So if you eat 80 calories worth of egg whites, the "net" calories will be somewhere around 60. Nowhere near negative calories.
  • safarigirlelka
    safarigirlelka Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with: cocoa powder, hemp powder, chia seeds, whey powder and flaxseed powder with lots of crushed ice! It tastes like a chocolate frappe. Very yummy!!
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It depends on your macros & goals, really - for me (building muscle, recomp) things like cottage cheese & greek yogurt, meats, protien powders are the best protein bang for the caloric buck so to speak. My breakfast this morning will be garlic cheese grits with 3oz ground beef.

I consider nuts & nut butters more for a fat source and there's not enough protein in hemp hearts or chia seeds for me to consider them a good source of protein. But to someone else with different goals and macros they may work great, and those are nutrition-packed foods. I'd just rather spend 165 cals for 31g protein from 100g chicken breast than 170 cals for 3 tbsp hemp hearts for only 10g protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate.
  • killafitnessxo
    killafitnessxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Breakfast protein foods - Turkey sausage, bacon, meat omelette, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, protein shake, etc.

vaavale wrote: »

Not true. It takes about 25% of the calories to digest protein (more or less, depending on what source they're quoting from). So if you eat 80 calories worth of egg whites, the "net" calories will be somewhere around 60. Nowhere near negative calories.

Agree!! Eat the while egg.
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I add liquid egg whites to my oatmeal. Stir in 40-50 grams while it's dry, then cook it with 1/2 cup almond milk. You really can't taste the egg, it just adds protein and volume to the dish. :)
  • xo_laurajane
    xo_laurajane Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »
    I add liquid egg whites to my oatmeal. Stir in 40-50 grams while it's dry, then cook it with 1/2 cup almond milk. You really can't taste the egg, it just adds protein and volume to the dish. :)

How much dry oatmeal are the egg whites and almond milk mixed with? This sounds like a good option for me.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Smoked turkey hock and salmon with spinach.
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    spat095 wrote: »

How much dry oatmeal are the egg whites and almond milk mixed with? This sounds like a good option for me.

I use a packet of instant, which is 28 grams. :) You might just need to play with the ratio and see what you like, but I eat this every day, it's great for me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do either a P28 protein bagel, Quest nutrition chocolate chip protein pancakes or oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder.