Food and Beer lover!

Options
So after some strong nudging by my wife and Doctor I have decided the time has come to lose some weight (starting goal is 50lbs with more later). I love beer (the real stuff, not the Miller Lite kind) and of course I love food or I wouldn't be here. Just looking for some support and advice from like minded people.

Replies

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I too enjoy my craft beers.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    You're among friends, lol. You can have it all, just not as much. I lost 22 pounds and never gave up beer. Good luck!
  • JCarrier1028
    JCarrier1028 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Given that the beer I enjoy is not cheap I don't usually drink that much so I'm hoping it won't make a significant impact on my weight loss. We'll see
  • badwolfli225
    badwolfli225 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on both accounts. I've been very unsuccessful in my attempts to get healthier so a friend suggested this app. I'm sure you can do it .
  • JCarrier1028
    Options
    Have you had any luck yet badwolf?
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I find this site very helpful. If you use it. What I'd suggest to you is that you figure out how many calories you can eat/drink per day to lose weight at the rate you desire. Then figure out how many calories are in one of your favorite beers and a dinner that you really enjoy. Let's say you get 1600 calories per day and the beer and a burger come to 800 calories. Then plan out how best to eat the other 800 calories in a way that gives you nutrients and energy. If you exercise you can eat/drink some more calories but don't eat them all back! Does that make sense?
  • JCarrier1028
    Options
    It does, thanks
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've been around a while now and have tried many different ways to lose. I recommited 9 weeks ago and am down nearly 20 lbs. I have been regularly consuming ice cream, and lately enjoying a beer or two. You do not have to give up the things you love. This time around feels different because I am including these things and still finding success.

My suggestions: add some friends for support (mine are crazy and I love them), read the sticky notes at the top of the getting started and general weight loss forums (a wealth of amazing knowledge), get a food scale (in my opinion it's invaluable to getting the calorie counts as close as possible), check the database info before selecting it (much of the food items have been entered by users and I have noticed regional differences in the nutritional information, so check your labels), be persistent, consistent, and patient. You are a work in progress, that takes time. You are also human, not all days will go as you hoped. When you have a difficult day/week be kind to yourself.