abs

Options
Is it possible to gain weight and have fab abs?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and thanks to how much muscle I have my abs are visible at 185 pounds. If you gain muscle weight and keep body fat low you'll have what you want. Abs aren't about how much you weigh, it's about having adequate muscle and low body fat.
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    that depends on what you think is fab.
  • pebbleslaura1
    Options
    I want some definition an toned
  • jinkoori
    jinkoori Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also want the same thing.

So I've avoided all white carbs. I think it helps. I've also increased my intake of protein. My rule is that fat is better than sugar, so I turn to cheese and yoghurt to curb my cravings. Then, I do bodyweight cardio to burn fat. While watching videos, I do core exercises. I take at least a 3km night walks almost every night to burn more fat. I also drink green tea.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    jinkoori wrote: »

So I've avoided all white carbs. I think it helps. I've also increased my intake of protein. My rule is that fat is better than sugar, so I turn to cheese and yoghurt to curb my cravings. Then, I do bodyweight cardio to burn fat. While watching videos, I do core exercises. I take at least a 3km night walks almost every night to burn more fat. I also drink green tea.

Why do you think avoiding white carbs will aide in your goal for abs ?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm 5'9" and thanks to how much muscle I have my abs are visible at 185 pounds. If you gain muscle weight and keep body fat low you'll have what you want. Abs aren't about how much you weigh, it's about having adequate muscle and low body fat.

This is a great comment

For comparison- I'm 5'8 and can't see visible abs at 143 lbs ( I have at 129-135 lbs though)

So it goes to show, it doesn't have as much to do with weight as it does with enough muscle and low body fat percentage.
    Some people will have visable abs at 185 lbs like the poster stated and others that are about the same height will not see any at 143 lbs.
    If I where you op, I would begin a progressive strength training program .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What is bodyweight cardio?
  • jinkoori
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Why do you think avoiding white carbs will aide in your goal for abs ?

I think it varies for everyone. For me,
    because that's what I was doing before: do core exercises and eat anything in moderation as long as I don't get past my calorie limit. Although I lost weight, the ab muscles were still hidden under my "skinny belly fat".
    Also, I used to be an overeater, but when i overcame that, i was still addicted to white carbs that I would forego protein just to allow myself more servings of white carbs and sugar.
    I also feel fuller, more satisfied, and more energized now. Not much cravings as before and the sluggish feeling is no more. I don't do this strictly, though. I allow myself some white carbs during special occasions, for example.
    This is just what works for me.
  • jinkoori
    Options

It's a workout that uses no weights. Only your own body weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It's a workout that uses no weights. Only your own body weight.

Riiiiiiiiiiight
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Although a low body fat percentage is needed to see abs, you do also need enough muscle. I have visible abs, but my overall muscle mass is low so they're not extremely defined.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Although a low body fat percentage is needed to see abs, you do also need enough muscle. I have visible abs, but my overall muscle mass is low so they're not extremely defined.

Which is why I said:

• pebbleslaura1
    Options
    Thanks for all great advice ☺ i know you cant gain weight without some fat but dont wanna get a big belly! Been advised to follow 1500 cal 200g carb 45g fat an 70g protein
  • usmcmp
    Options
    1500 doesn't seem like enough to gain weight unless you are very short (under 5') and very underweight. It's a good starting point, but you'll probably want to increase that slowly. Are you following a progressive lifting routine?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all great advice ☺ i know you cant gain weight without some fat but dont wanna get a big belly! Been advised to follow 1500 cal 200g carb 45g fat an 70g protein

Sorry you're looking to gain ? On 1500 calories?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

You're seeing a doctor now?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Sorry you're looking to gain ? On 1500 calories?

OP has an eating disorder
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

On top of this, genetics is a huge factor. If you store your body fat in your lower body, you will be more likely to have abs at higher body fat percentages as compared to those who store body fat first in their stomachs.
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wonder when my are going to show completely ? My body fat is 16% and I train them twice per week! As you can see per my profile pix they re still not showing completely