when people criticize eating habits/exercise..

Options
2»

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I can see why your family would be upset that you don't want to eat with them any more.
    Why.

Because eating together is a a normal part of daily life and part of normal social interaction.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    For myself, I found there was no real need to change what I was eating, just how much and for some things, how frequently. I have meals with friends and family like before, I just eat smaller amounts. Nobody's really said anything because I suspect they didn't notice.

It was a bit hard when my mother made a batch of cinnamon rolls and brought them over, but I wasn't mad, I realize it's a way to show love. I just ate them in significantly more moderation than I ever had before, and made them fit into my daily calorie goals every day until they were gone.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can see why your family would be upset that you don't want to eat with them any more.
    Why.

Because eating together is a a normal part of daily life and part of normal social interaction.

Bingo. You don't have to eat the same things but spending time with your family is not something you should avoid just because of your 'diet'
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    For myself, I found there was no real need to change what I was eating, just how much and for some things, how frequently. I have meals with friends and family like before, I just eat smaller amounts. Nobody's really said anything because I suspect they didn't notice.

It was a bit hard when my mother made a batch of cinnamon rolls and brought them over, but I wasn't mad, I realize it's a way to show love. I just ate them in significantly more moderation than I ever had before, and made them fit into my daily calorie goals every day until they were gone.

Love this!!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Why.

Bingo. You don't have to eat the same things but spending time with your family is not something you should avoid just because of your 'diet'

I'm guessing there's more than diet that drives OPs desire to disconnect from family.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Families can be toxic. Sorry you are struggling!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of someone not wanting to eat meals with their family because they eat different foods than them?

I have a number of medical conditions and for the past month, have barely been able to eat. I still eat meals with my family despite that……
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Why.

I'm guessing there's more than diet that drives OPs desire to disconnect from family.

That's what I was thinking too. That seems pretty extreme to avoid your family just because of what they are eating. and I'd bet their criticism on her food changes stems more from that fact versus her eating different things. I'm sure there are comments and such, but I'd think after awhile they'd tire of it and just accept it.
  • FunSizeSandy
    FunSizeSandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Why.

That's what I was thinking too. That seems pretty extreme to avoid your family just because of what they are eating. and I'd bet their criticism on her food changes stems more from that fact versus her eating different things. I'm sure there are comments and such, but I'd think after awhile they'd tire of it and just accept it.

That's what I'm hoping,that they just come to realize it's my way of life now, and we can all sit together and talk like we used to instead of everyone trying to feed me their monser burrito with a coke.thanks everyone i know some of you don't see it through my eyes others do, it's difficult and even more when it's family.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Why.

That's what I'm hoping,that they just come to realize it's my way of life now, and we can all sit together and talk like we used to instead of everyone trying to feed me their monser burrito with a coke.thanks everyone i know some of you don't see it through my eyes others do, it's difficult and even more when it's family.

How about a little burrito and a water? If they're insisting on eating with you, they may have to adjust their cooking/serving sizes a bit, or just let it go

I don't know about the table salt issue - so much of what we eat already contains salt/sodium. Isn't it fairly hard to be deficient?

With my family, whenever I've mentioned new dishes the response is always, "sounds great! Make some for us next time." I do agree that eating together is a significant part of family interaction and could be perceived as a bit strange to just not want to eat with your family, ever
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I tend to struggle with the fact that nearly everything in life is a special occasion, its always someones birthday, or I'm meeting with someone I haven't seen for a while, sitting with family I made a long trip to visit with - I think it is situational. There are times where I think it is good to be polite, control your portions and eat with whoever you'er eating with, but I also think that it is absolutely fine to set boundaries and be adamant about maintaining your lifestyle, because there is always someone else to please out there, gotta please yoself!

I agree with this. If your family really cars for you they will realize its your life to do with as you please and they should be extra supportive since you're actually doing something positive for your health. That said maybe they miss your company at dinner time. Maybe you could sit with them even if you don't eat, but please by no means let your healthy life style be derailed because of differing opinions.

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Lol if I'm complaining about stubborn fat my mother tells me I eat too much. She will turn around in the same day and tell me I have a headache because I don't eat enough. I find the humor in that and move on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It works both ways. I have fit and lean people criticize me for eating food that's processed, sugar laden, and chemically infused.
    So what's the real issue? They be hatin' on you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png