I think I need a protein supplement...

Options
I know I hardly eat enough protein. I try to stay away from nuts and beans are nasty!! I could probably be borderline vegetarian if I tried to be. I hardly ever eat meat. Generally I only eat pasta, veggies, breads, fruits and cheeses. Every once in a while i'll cook on the grill, other than that I don't normally prepare meats at home.

What is the best and healthiest way to supplement protein? Are there any protein shakes you've tried and liked? Does it come in a vitamin or do you have to buy a shake mix?

Replies

• cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Aria women's protein is great. 2 scoops = 80 calories and 14 grams of protein
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've really like a whey protein shake called MRM, it's 18 grams of protein- and it's delicious. You can find it at whole foods!
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try Syntrax Nectar. It comes in about 13 great flavors, contains 23 grams of protein per scoop and only 90 calories. No sugar and no carbs.
  • charlottebronte
    Options
    Greek yogurt is high in protein--14 grams/6 oz in Chobani brand.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    The one I use, as well as my wife, is six star whey protein. 1 scoop is 26 grams of protein. I mix that in a blender with a banana, 1% or Almond milk, 1 tbs peanut butter and ice, tastes so good. The six star powder can be found at Wal-mart, and it comes in a variety of flavors, vanilla, chocolate, french vanilla, strawberry, banana cream and cookies and cream, the only one we haven't tried is chocolate(not big fans of chocolate) and they are all delicious.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You won't get very much protein in a pill. Shakes are generally the most convenient way to get it.

But you can easliy add protein by eating more eggs, lean deli meats, microwave-able frozen chicken breasts, spoonfuls of peanut butter, cans of tuna fish, shrimp, salmon, ham, chicken, etc.
  • Lizshouse88
    Options
    You won't get very much protein in a pill. Shakes are generally the most convenient way to get it.

But you can easliy add protein by eating more eggs, lean deli meats, microwave-able frozen chicken breasts, spoonfuls of peanut butter, cans of tuna fish, shrimp, salmon, ham, chicken, etc.

Well see I didn't know there was much protein in Tuna. I can live with Tuna :) I LOOOOVE Tuna :) haha thanks!
  • leeanndelcourt
    leeanndelcourt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey There,
    Good nutrition in shakes is important otherwise we are filling ourselves up with empty calories. Whatever shake you choose make sure the ingredients are REAL food! Ingredients that you can pronounce and recognize! Not just a bunch of fillers, artificial sweeteners and fake stuff.
    Good stuff! Happy shake searching :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have tried every which way to make a protein smoothy, and in the end I find that water and Designer Whey french vanilla protein powder from Wal-Mart works the best for me...I just pound it back, no sipping or it won't go down lol. Google protein smoothies and you'll find a ton of recipes...
  • sirbishop
    sirbishop Posts: 2
    Options
    If you have a Cost-Co in your area, they have a 6lb bag of whey for ~$36. Chocolate or vanilla. Taste is pretty good.