Spammers?

Options
Other than blocking, is there any way to deal with spammers sending direct messages here?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Message the mods about the individual.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yup. Block and message. I got one too. Yesterday. Aparently I don't know what I'm doing do need some MLM product to 'help'.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Yup. Block and message. I got one too. Yesterday. Aparently I don't know what I'm doing do need some MLM product to 'help'.
    Ugh... how insulting!

• nutmegoreo
    Options
    Ugh... how insulting!

Right? I laughed. I'm 35lb down and no signs of slowdown at this point. At least I know better, thanks to the great folks here. Helping to promote truth and understanding of fact from fiction. Poorly targeted. I messaged back before blocking that it was unwarranted, unappreciated, uncool, and inappropriate.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ugh... how insulting!

Right? I laughed. I'm 35lb down and no signs of slowdown at this point. At least I know better, thanks to the great folks here. Helping to promote truth and understanding of fact from fiction. Poorly targeted. I messaged back before blocking that it was unwarranted, unappreciated, uncool, and inappropriate.

Huh! Do these people even check profiles? I just got one of those messages right after I posted here the first time...I even checked out the website for gits and shiggles..Two seconds in: "the 2 foods you should NEVERRRR eat" *clicks close*
    Thanks, but no thanks.... 77lbs down without a pay diet.
    *block*
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yep,I got a private message too and I reported it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    We are aware of the issue and collecting the names of them. Unfortunately the volunteer mods are not able to block them or the IP address of the spammer. We have notified staff of this issue.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    We are aware of the issue and collecting the names of them. Unfortunately the volunteer mods are not able to block them or the IP address of the spammer. We have notified staff of this issue.

Thank you!
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thank you!

Happy to help when I can! I have suggested to the staff members that we have a report button for private messages. It would simplify things and help people who don't interact with staff or moderators.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Thank you!

Happy to help when I can! I have suggested to the staff members that we have a report button for private messages. It would simplify things and help people who don't interact with staff or moderators.

That would be a wonderful feature!

FYI, you help out a lot of people and in such a kind way. It's amazing to see the tact you demonstrate.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thank you!

FYI, you help out a lot of people and in such a kind way. It's amazing to see the tact you demonstrate.

:flowerforyou: Thank you! Sometimes I am a bit too blunt when I should be more gentle. We all have our faults. :laugh:
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Thank you!

:flowerforyou: Thank you! Sometimes I am a bit too blunt when I should be more gentle. We all have our faults. :laugh:

Blunt has it's place as well. Knowing your audience helps :smile:
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Thanks! Second/third/nth the idea of a flag button for messages.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    May I also suggest that they put a way to delete messages unread? I got a spam message from a stranger, and the title was "Sharing my secret". I'm not usually a delicate little wallflower but I really didn't want to have to open it in order to get rid of it - fortunately the 'secret' was just some ol' guff about a special diet, but it could have been a lot worse!
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    May I also suggest that they put a way to delete messages unread? I got a spam message from a stranger, and the title was "Sharing my secret". I'm not usually a delicate little wallflower but I really didn't want to have to open it in order to get rid of it - fortunately the 'secret' was just some ol' guff about a special diet, but it could have been a lot worse!

I got the same one today. I politely told them I'm doing great with MFP and that it's not a good idea to spam their secret diet or they will get banned. I don't know how to report them.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I got this one too....
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Same. Got one today.