Exercise with lupus and stoke

Options
Hey All I am looking for people in my position. I have suffered with Lupus, Fibomyalgia for years, and a stoke 5 years ago. I take alot meds that makes gaining weight easier but also makes it harder ton lose weight. I exercise daily thru the pain. And don't push my body when my pain level is above 7. On a scale of 1-10. I am pushing on to achieve a healthy weight and heathy life style. I know losing the weight will impact my pain level as my joints, my back ect. I have gone from 150 lbs to 220 lbs in 5 years. I am currently 206 lbs and have just began my journey to a healthy weight. I don't say the "D" word because I never do well on them. I just say I am on my way to a healthy lifestyle. I love to hear from people that have made changes to exercises due to health issues. Thank you :smile:

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Have you added walking to your routine? That was my life saver!
  • jmecale72
    jmecale72 Posts: 214
    Options
    I would like to hear any suggestions as well since my wife suffers from Lupus as well.....
  • lanasimm
    lanasimm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who also has some health issues that make it difficult/painful to exercise. She swears by water aerobics. I know that for myself, personally, the only way I've been able to make a new lifestyle is by being prepared. I try to have portioned out dinners, and lunches and usually I have the same breakfast every day. That way I feel like I get a good start to the day. Good luck with your new lifestyle!!
  • PecanTanDiva
    PecanTanDiva Posts: 162
    Options
    Hello to all :flowerforyou:

I have Cutaneous Lupus and I exercise 7 days a week. I have lost weight, but not how the average person does because of the meds Im on. If I'm in pain, especially my knees :sad: I get on the treadmill and "TRY' walking at a slow pace (1.5 - 2.5 mph) or if I can't exercise, I will lower my calorie goal from the 1400 calories to 1200 calories and stay within that range. I'm not sure if there really are things people with Lupus can rely on as far as exercising when in pain. When my joints start to hurt, I can usually work through it early on, but once its serious, I cant even go to work let alone think about working out. I may try the pool since my kids love it and it feels easier moving when in water. May need to try that