Wheatless / grain free

Options
Has anyone gone wheatless or completely grain free?

I started, day #2 and would appreciate any help on getting enough calories without feeling so full, also any experiences you'd like to share with it that you believe would be helpful I'd appreciate.

Do you find yourself eating a lot of potatoes? I was thinking of adding regular in addition to sweet potatoes for variety.

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you have almond flour? It is expensive but amazing. The texture is the best tasting GF baking flour I have ever eaten. Almond flour pancakes are so yummy.

There is a grain free baker at my farmers market, and I think most of her stuff is almond flour based.

I eat gluten but I still love almond flour stuff, whereas I find most fake cakes, cookies, etc to be gross.
  • DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is my two year anniversary on MFP. I eliminated wheat and corn, but continued to eat small quantities of rice and potatoes (white and sweet). By small, I mean about 1/2 cup cooked rice maybe twice a week, 1 baked potato once a week, about 6 oz boiled potatoes once a week. That's the only change I made to my diet (I was already eating almost no sugar). My first year I lost 39 lbs. My second year I lost another 5 lbs. So I'm down almost 45 lbs from two years ago. What helps me feel full is to eat some kind of protein at every meal. What you're doing is, in my experience, a good move. By going mostly grain free, you'll be eliminating refined carbohydrates, a major source of empty calories.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Almond flour and coconut flour is fine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    To increase calories, add more fats and oils to your days: butter, sour cream, cooking oil, olives, avocados, nuts, sausage, chicken thighs, bacon, cheese.
    You can use almond meal, ground flax seed, coconut flakes, and even parmesan cheese as "breading" to do things like pan fry fish:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/549434-breading-ideas-in-low-carb-diets/

Perhaps look for paleo recipes because those folks are grain-free.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm wheat free. I use oat flour or brown rice flour to replace wheat flour. I don't eat bread. I use corn pasta or zoodles to replace pasta and noodles.

I've found it really easy to be honest. It's not hard at all.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a whole heck of a lot of wheat or grain. I'm not completely grain free, I just don't generally eat it. I don't replace it with other starch either, I just eat a lot of vegetables.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No. Why?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I needed to go gluten free I switched to almond and coconut flours. Paleo cookbooks have lots of these recipes.

This year I dropped all grains and did not fill the vod they left with other starchy fillers like potatoes or rice, instead I increased fats.

I don't miss them.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been really happy going yeast and gluten free. I do eat quite a few sweet potatoes, but I also eat more veggies in general now. I also eat more homemade popcorn. I have found that eating out is difficult, yeast is in everything and I never realized how truly bread based the North Americsn diet is. But it gives us a good excuse to go for sushi, Thai, and East Indian :)

I have found a lot of great gluten free items at Costco :)
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly grain free as my partner has coeliacs and grain allergies. (No grain in the house & for cooking, but if I eat out then I will eat grains)

We do eat a LOT of potatoes. He ends up eating a lot of cheese & other fats to get his calories in.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was wrongly prescribed a med that injured me and caused me food intolerances. I am wheat free and partly grain free. I do eat Quinoa. And sometimes I eat rice protein powder, but have stopped that recently. I eat sweet potatoes with butternut squash. I eat nuts and seeds.