Protein shake: water or milk?

Options
i have been using protein shakes for breakfast for a while now as they are great after training.
I have been using milk ( low fat) berries, banana, spinach and chia seeds with a good quality chocolate protein powder.
I thought it might be healthier to try almond milk but it tastes like flavoured chalk and I can't do it!
Would it be better to use water rather than milk? Any advice would be great.

Replies

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    definitely no water for me, all protein shakes or anything powdered, like hot cocoa, tasted yuck mix with it to me.
    2% milk is what i have been using lately with the wild strawberry protein powder i really like, the milk makes it taste like strawberry milk but, normally i use vanilla almond milk with protein powders.

if you have not tried silk almond milk with protein shakes yet, you maybe should. i really cannot stand any of the almond milks in coffee, cereal, granola or alone but, mixed with protein shake/smoothies, i do not notice the weird taste at all, sometimes it even makes some powders, like hemp protein powder, taste even better.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Milk has protein, but you already have the protein powder and water works fine.
    Almond milk is no healthier than cow or soy milk and has little protein.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    unsweetened cashew milk is the only thing i can drink with anything now. its smoother than cows milk and way better
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I use water because I can't afford the extra calories. Sometimes I use cold coffee. depends if u get enough calories to use the milk; I would if I could.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    A. Whichever fits in to your daily calorie and macro needs

B. Whichever you prefer.

Neither of these items are going to have any appreciable effect on your diet when looked at in correct dosage and context.

Look at your dietary intake as a whole, not single foods in isolation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Always with milk for me, tastes better and I like the nutrition from milk.
    Made with water just tastes/feels thin and unpleasant.
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I drink my unflavored pea protein with water. Tastes awful :'( but have had stomach issues with dairy since my gb surgery and dont wish to waste calories on a milk substitute.

Have read on other forums of people becoming lactose intolerant from drinking to much milk specifically body builders. Not saying it will happen to you but something to keep in mind.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Depending on the flavor i'm having, I use tea or coffee.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    which ever fits your calories
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I use either one, depending on what calories I have available. I have found milk works better if I am not adding much to it, and water works better when I have a bunch of other stuff besides the powder.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    skim milk for me
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk. Can't do dairy because it gives me awful sinus congestion.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I like my protein shakes mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep...use water if you don't like almond milk.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    CubicalF13 wrote: »
    I drink my unflavored pea protein with water. Tastes awful :'( but have had stomach issues with dairy since my gb surgery and dont wish to waste calories on a milk substitute.

Have read on other forums of people becoming lactose intolerant from drinking to much milk specifically body builders. Not saying it will happen to you but something to keep in mind.

could you try whey isolate instead? im lactose intolerant, but the isolate is fine with me. i used to drink unflavored hemp protein in water and wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

I usually mix my whey isolate with water and find it yummy. i add unsweetened almond milk and yogurt for smoothies, though.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Use whatever works for you. I use a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a serving of real ice cream (for flavor and a bit of fat and sugar) and then fill the rest with water. Brand seems to make a big difference for the almond milk though, I've tried different ones, including the store brand, and Silk is the only one I will buy now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I used to use soy, almond, or coconut milk because I thought it would taste better. But I eventually went to straight water (cold from frig)to save cals and I taste no diff. I always add berries or bananas and cinnamon, nutmeg, it cardomon.
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i love using coconut milk! i'm vegan but i find protein powder blended with water to be a little weird tasting
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    could you try whey isolate instead? im lactose intolerant, but the isolate is fine with me. i used to drink unflavored hemp protein in water and wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

Interesting, thanks i will have to try that.