Protein shakes? What's the good?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the whole dieting scene and I've heard a lot about protein and how good it is for you. My question is, why is it good for you? And also, are there specific foods (lean meats, grains, etc) that are good sources of protein, and not high in calories? And finally, what about protein shakes? They sound kind of gross to me haha but does anyone have success with them? Anyone know of any tasty shakes? And should you work out more when you consume more protein?
I'm just a newby ready to learn all I can!

PS-I'm looking for some future friends and supporters, please add me if you'd like! The support will be reciprocated (:

Replies

• lamorte
    lamorte Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes rule ! Love them . If your a chocolate fan as I am get the Apex fit 100% whey protein, toss in some fresh fruit, either water or non fat milk, a few ice cubes and 1/2 bananna.... mmm mmmmm mmmmmm....I look foward to these , breakfest or afternoon snack. Filling a great for you !
  • Shauna_cc
    Shauna_cc Posts: 7
    Options
    Protein shakes rule ! Love them . If your a chocolate fan as I am get the Apex fit 100% whey protein, toss in some fresh fruit, either water or non fat milk, a few ice cubes and 1/2 bananna.... mmm mmmmm mmmmmm....I look foward to these , breakfest or afternoon snack. Filling a great for you !
    Thanks! I'm just worried about the taste, but I will definitely try it out when I get the chance (:
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Favorite smoothie recipe:

1 frozen banana (chop up before freezing, the riper the better)
    1 cup Vanilla unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder

Blend it up in your blender, that is it.

Tastes just like a banana milkshake.....the best : )
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein helps burn fat and build lean muscle.

I do protein shakes, not gross but some are! You will have to try them. I do Premier Protein but also available are Muscle Milk Light, Pure Protein. Those are premade shakes with 25grams or more of protein, anything less....skip it.

For powder there are Jay Robb, Pure Protein and many more. Powder can be made into shakes or added to food like oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, etc.......They have some no flavor ones as well.

Leam Meats and Fish are great sources of protein along with Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese.

Make sure you also get your veggies/fiber, you don't want to get clogged up!

Yes, you should exercise!
  • megansprague
    Options
    Bump

Anybody tried Special K chocolate shakes? They look good...
  • Armik
    Armik Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good things about protein, but the thing that's most important to me is how protein balances out carbs to fuel your body and keep your blood sugar levels steady so you don't feel as hungry.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Physical tissues of the body are composed of proteins, these tissues are regenerated as needed and created as needed (when additional muscle tissue is added). Everything from skin, to hair, to nails, to....you get the point.
    Your body needs protein to support these tissues.
    Whey protein is an excellent way to 'supplement' protein. Keeping in mind that the intent of protein powders are to supplement your protein intake, not replace it. Whey protein is made from milk, so if cheese, and yogurt, and milk is gross, then whey protein may not be best suited for you. There are other types of proteins, each have a different qualities.
    Most people use Whey protein as a means to jump-start recovery (tissue repair) post workout.
    Is there a specific reason you are looking for one? or are you just wanting to supplement your protein intake?
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Special K chocolate shakes are great! The strawberry are not bad but personally the vanilla is not that good.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I like Odwalla Original Super Protein shakes. In general, I just try to eat protein-rich foods. I'm a big fan of eggs (so cheap and easy!). Also nuts, fish or pork (any meats work but these are my favorites), greek yogurt is awesome too. I had never had it until recently, but it's super good. A lot creamier than regular yogurt and lots of protein.
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's important to have protein, at least a small amount at every meal. It helps you maintain your muscle. I drink my serving of cholate protein shake after my workout. It helps keepbyour body lean and loose weightblooking fit
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    I drink Eas Advant Edge Protein shakes. They only have 110 calories, 17 grams of protein and 0 sugar which is great. I have noticed a lot of other protein shakes have more calories, less protein, and way too much sugar.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Protein shakes are a good way to suppliment your daily protein intake. They are not a weight loss solution. True weight loss and health comes with a mix of exercise and healthy eating, of which protein shakes are a tool.

If you find that you are not consuming enough protein, then go with the shakes. Personally, I prefer to get my protein from the foods that I eat. But sometimes I'm finding that I am struggling to get enough protein after my workouts. I don't always have access to meat/chicken/fish, etc.

I tried Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Chocolate (24 g of protein for a rounded scoop, 120 calories),
    GNC Pro Performance® 100% Whey Protein - Unflavored, Muscle milk lite 100% whey protein.
  • dcw10
    dcw10 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey ,I'm by no means an expert about Protein shake/drinks .The reason I like them is you can get lots of protein for not a huge calorie count ,but you have to get the mixes that aren't for weight gain .

I like Syntha6 brand they taste good to me. I like the vanilla ice cream and chocolate peanut butter .I get vanilla because you can add stuff to it ( fruit ,almond butter ) just have to be careful you don't make a 1000cal shake .

I usually have a "smoothie" after my morning work out .
    Vanilla ic- 200cal
    1 packet sugar free hot choco.-25 cals
    1/2 - 1c almond milk -35cal
    ice

it usually holds me until lunch . its also yummy !
    I hope some of this helps . Good luck and I will add you to my friends
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shauna_cc
    Shauna_cc Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone!
    I'm asking because I'm honestly not sure if what I'm eating contains enough protein. I'm so focused on the calories that everything else is a distant second and usually not even thought about. If I'm going to start eating healthy I'd like to do it right.
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    I love my vanilla whey protein shakes with banana and almond milk, occasionally I add a touch of cocoa or other fruit. When I drink them it's either for breakfast if Im in a rush or after a workout. You can use 1/2 a scoop if you dont want the full amount of protein in a full scoop. Try to find a brand with the cleanest (natural) ingreadients and one that doesn't have a lot of sugars or carbs.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Six star whey Protein--comes in a variety of flavors--vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, french vanilla, banana cream, and cookies and cream--about 18 bucks for a 2 lb container--(lasts about a month)

Recipe
    1 Scoop of powder
    1 cup of 1% milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 whole banana
    1 tbs of peanut butter
    ice

Toss in a blender and blend, tastes delicious
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the whole dieting scene and I've heard a lot about protein and how good it is for you. My question is, why is it good for you?
    Yes, it can be. There two main reasons to use protein powder.

1) Post workout recovery. A protein shake is fast, easily absorbed protein along with fruit drank right after your workout will help speed up muscle recovery.

2) It can help increase the amount of protein in your diet. Particular at breakfast which can sometimes be high in carbos and low in protein. A scoop in your oatmeal, cereal can help keep your protein intake up.

Keeping your protein a bit higher say, 30% of your diet can help keep you satiated and meat protein takes more calories to burn than simple carbs so it aids in weight loss as well. Sometimes you will here someone claim that a calorie is a calorie. But that simply is not true. Your average carb requires 10% of the calorie count to digest. Meat general takes about 30% of the calories to burn.

And also, are there specific foods (lean meats, grains, etc) that are good sources of protein, and not high in calories?
    Skinless chicken, lean ham, lowfat cottage cheese, lowfat milk, and nonfat Greek yogurt all great sources of low fat protein. Do not bother counting the protein in none meat sources as vegetable protein tends to be of poor quality (quinoa being an exception).

Also, wild salmon is not low in fat but it is high the right fats (Omega 6 and 3). Just make sure it is wild salmon because farm raised salmon is not a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids. You can also up your Omega 3s by eating only beef that is grass feed.
    They sound kind of gross to me haha but does anyone have success with them? Anyone know of any tasty shakes? And should you work out more when you consume more protein?
    Some of them do taste gross. You may have a to try a few until you find one you like. Personally, I high recommend Biotest Metabolic Drive - Low Carb Protein Shake Powder. You can ordered it direct, the price is good and very tasty. My general rule is vanilla for adding to oatmeal, cereal, etc. Chocolate is pretty much only good for making a shake. Also I tend to think the vanilla flavors work better because I love chocolate and fake chocolate rarely satisfies my taste buds.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone!
    I'm asking because I'm honestly not sure if what I'm eating contains enough protein. I'm so focused on the calories that everything else is a distant second and usually not even thought about. If I'm going to start eating healthy I'd like to do it right.

Best way to start eating healthy is avoiding processed foods, and sticking to whole foods.
    Meats, and Dairy are great sources of protein. Like others say look for things that don't have sugar. Also don't be fooled by other names for sugar including 'cane juice'. Still counts...
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    but, great post, good to know some of the replies :)