mind games for mindless eating

Options
Ok, so I just finished logging for the day and it says I have 250 or so caloris left. Now...I have faithfully logged all of my meals, but I know I ate more than that...I snagged a couple pizza roles froms my son's lunch, I KNOW I grabbed more that one handfull of almonds, and I,m sure there is other things that I can't remeber. Basicly, I think I am over for today. I tend to do this alot..like every day.

So what I thought is that I will make a meal that is 200 cals and call it "Nibbles" and add it every morning. That way it covers bites form son's lunch, tastes during cooking, and bites of leftovers. My hope is that if I enter this I will be more aware of what I am nibbling on, and I will have kind of a cushion. If I can manage to make it throught the day without nibbling, then I get to reward myself with a treat...glass of wine and dark chocolate perhaps... :)

Has anyone ever tried this kind of approach, or have any other hints?

-Christy

Replies

• vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar. I added quick calories (sometimes 100, sometimes 200) to cover picking. I don't do it too often though.
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    Hey, that's a great idea! I may have to "borrow" it because I am the same way. I'll make my son a sandwich & take a bite, not even realizing it until it's too late. I will heat up leftovers for my husband and do the same thing. And I'm constantly tempted to steal sips of my family's sweet tea when pouring them a drink. Thanks for the tip & I think it should work fine. :)
  • dashpainters
    Options
    I think its those "nibbles" that cause the weight gain in the first place. I'm guilty of it too. It's about retraining yourself not to give in to temptation otherwise this will be a problem for life.
    Remove the temptation by not allowing yourself to get hungry, if I ever feel like I'm about to shove a biscuit in my gob, I go and eat canned beetroot instead because it fills me up and I quite like it. Not as much as a biscuit but at least then I've eaten something and don't feel like I've missed out.
  • formygood2011
    formygood2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh! I have two kids and I find that if I stick a piece of gum in my mouth or brush teeth before making them a meal (Especially if I'm not eating with them) I don't food. I kind of follow the "you bite it, you write it."

What if you are eating more than 200 cals? What if you put each nibble into a bag or jar for the day to see what you come up with? Might just make you more mindful to stop.

I love that extra wine/choc treat idea!!!
  • kmarx65
    kmarx65 Posts: 28
    Options
    I was just going back over my day trying to "capture" all those nibbles. Love your idea!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    The nibbling is not worth it to me. I am desperately trying to hold myself accountable and by adding quick cals to cover nibbling only enables me to get off the track to recovery and being healthy. Nothing I can nibble tastes as good as thin feels.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't have to worry about making food for kids or spouse... but nibbling is still a threat, especially when creating a meal to take along with me to work or when making a sandwich and weighing out the parts...

I've found that if I PRE-journal my day that I'm better able to stay within the parameters of my calorie limit. I lay it all out in the morning while I'm having my coffee... including the snacks that I plan on taking with me. Then, after all is in, I assess how many calories I have left... I am WAY more aware of each bite (outside of what is already journaled) and I don't do it! (or I do and then have to add it in and feel the shame within myself - because I am the only one giving myself shame!)

Also, I sometimes find that I have over calculated the amount of food I can eat... and then I just delete that item from the journal before I go to sleep that night...

And, if I'm really planning something BIG in calories that I want to have (have to have) - then I exercise more to allow for those calories!

Hope this helps!