Only lost 1 pound!

Options
It's been two months since I started an exercise regime. I walk/run between 5 miles per day 7 days a week. do push ups stomach crunches. I do not eat back my calories. Eating around 1800-2000 calories per day. I've been tracking my food on MFP for two weeks, I expected to see a drop in my weight since I was watching calories, fat, sugar, sodium etc. I make most of my meals and eat minimally processed foods.

I will never meet the BMI specifications for men e.g. I got down to 188 lbs once and my wife said I looked like I was sick and I felt it!! I can't really go much below 205 or I don't feel well. I'm 6 feet 1 inches. I'm currently 223 so I'd like to get down to 210 at least.

One thing to note, I've lost two inches off my waist in the past two months of exercise. So somethings happening, just not in the weight department. I don't know if I just traded fat for muscle?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    2 inches off your waist trumps scale weight, don't you think? Scale weight usually fallows. The whoosh effect :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your logging? How are you determining your caloric intake?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are eating at maintenance level and re-comping..

what are your stats? do you use a food scale?
  • DialecticalBrain
    DialecticalBrain Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use the food labels to identify calories. I was in weight watchers for two years so am very familiar with proper portion sizes, but still do alot of measuring cup usage.

Yes, 2 inches off my wasteline and my legs are like broomsticks now! Not in a bad way. Yes I'm fitting into clothes I coudn't just 2 months ago! So I am making progress just not on the scale just yet.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    ijoyner wrote: »
    I use the food labels to identify calories. I was in weight watchers for two years so am very familiar with proper portion sizes, but still do alot of measuring cup usage.

Yes, 2 inches off my wasteline and my legs are like broomsticks now! Not in a bad way. Yes I'm fitting into clothes I coudn't just 2 months ago! So I am making progress just not on the scale just yet.

Eyeballing and measuring cups often lead to underestimation of intake.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    A food scale is in order, it will make a big difference. After using a food scale, you'll get better at eyeballing.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    2 inches and 1 lb in 2 weeks is a great start!
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Defiantly weigh your foods bud, it will help!
  • DialecticalBrain
    Options
    I measure everything in terms of directions on packaging e.g. Rice, cheese, oil, beans, etc. the only thing I could possibly see a scale useful for is meat because you really are dealing with oz. being the unit of measurement. I actually don't eat meat more than once per day mostly because it's hard to afford. I only eat lean meats at that.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    ijoyner wrote: »
    I measure everything in terms of directions on packaging e.g. Rice, cheese, oil, beans, etc. the only thing I could possibly see a scale useful for is meat because you really are dealing with oz. being the unit of measurement. I actually don't eat meat more than once per day mostly because it's hard to afford. I only eat lean meats at that.

Rice in particular is one you want to weigh, because "1 cup" can vary tremendously depending on how tightly you pack it, and it's energy dense. Any dry good should have servings listed in both volume and weight; the weight is far more accurate than the volume.
  • DialecticalBrain
    Options
    I watched that video very interesting! I'll have to really look at a food scale!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    The scale has limited value except in the long term trend. Since your body can fluctuate in just water weight alone up to 5 pounds on any given day it's not a good measurement of success (except in terms of months).

Read about all the NSV None Scale Victories and focus on those.

And yes on the food scale, if nothing else it will eventually teach you about portion sizes and the true energy in various foods.

Keep Going!
    Never Settle!
    Never Give Up.

Roberta
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh more than fat
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »