Calorie counting

Options
Hi guys,

Just recently downloaded this app and my goal is to lose weight and get shredded , my question is that recently I have been using my net diary and it told me that to lose weight u got to eat 1580 calories and now on this app it tells me 1880, I'm currently 74 kg, so I'm just confused on what to do ?

Thanks

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Lower figure is without exercise upper figure includes exercise. ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Both of those numbers seem pretty low for a man your size and age. How much did you tell it you want to lose? I am a 35 year old woman at the same weight and I eat 2000 (plus exercise) calories in order to lose a half pound a week. Losing any faster than that will leave you flabby, not shredded. You've got to lose slowly (and lift and eat protein) to maintain muscle.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @fadiyousif171 @BusyRaeNOTBusty makes great factual points.

Remember these 'Apps' are just making a guess based on an algorithm in the software based on a best guess of data used by the software.

Weight yourself and the scales will show you the net results of your way of eating and exercise. It is our net results that improve or decrease our levels of health in most cases.

Welcome to MFP forums and best of success.
  • fadiyousif171
    fadiyousif171 Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Both of those numbers seem pretty low for a man your size and age. How much did you tell it you want to lose? I am a 35 year old woman at the same weight and I eat 2000 (plus exercise) calories in order to lose a half pound a week. Losing any faster than that will leave you flabby, not shredded. You've got to lose slowly (and lift and eat protein) to maintain muscle.

My goal is to get about 68kg ish,
    Is 0.5 pounds a week the best way to go about it ?
  • fadiyousif171
    Options

Remember these 'Apps' are just making a guess based on an algorithm in the software based on a best guess of data used by the software.

Weight yourself and the scales will show you the net results of your way of eating and exercise. It is our net results that improve or decrease our levels of health in most cases.

Alright great ;) I shall do that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    68kgs?? can I ask how tall you are?
  • fadiyousif171
    Options
    68kgs?? can I ask how tall you are?

175 cm
  • fadiyousif171
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This is what I eat on a daily base:

byp0ia1oi9as.png
    sshti3qwlelg.png
    awd6sqlyjd2o.png

• fadiyousif171
    Options
    riygr0m9ki5m.png
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Alright great ;) I shall do that.

Making a guess is probably a little misleading. They use studies that then give results in a range that most of the population would fall into. This is not a guess, it is more of an average that will hit most people who are of the same sex, age, height, weight. Certainly there will be variation above and below, but it is quite close. There will also be outliers who are not even close to that number, but unless you find you are logging very carefully (weighing all solids, measuring all liquids) and your results are not even close to what is expected, assuming you are not some special snowflake but fall in the average where 90% or more of the people are is the best way to start.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Just recently downloaded this app and my goal is to lose weight and get shredded , my question is that recently I have been using my net diary and it told me that to lose weight u got to eat 1580 calories and now on this app it tells me 1880, I'm currently 74 kg, so I'm just confused on what to do ?

Thanks

1880 sound completely reasonable. Try it for a month an see what your progress is like. In terms of your goal, a good weight lifting program would be very beneficial to maintain the muscle you have so you will actually get shredded.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    To maintain muscle mass keep weightloss under 1% of your bodyweight per week (studies find 0.5-1% is fine for bodybuilders), eat 0.64-0.82g/lb of protein every day and do resistance training.

That may be 0.75lb/week, or it might be up to 1.5lb/week. You'll want to monitor BF% and therefore your lean mass to make sure you aren't losing what you want to keep.
  • fadiyousif171
    Options
    To maintain muscle mass keep weightloss under 1% of your bodyweight per week (studies find 0.5-1% is fine for bodybuilders), eat 0.64-0.82g/lb of protein every day and do resistance training.

That may be 0.75lb/week, or it might be up to 1.5lb/week. You'll want to monitor BF% and therefore your lean mass to make sure you aren't losing what you want to keep.

Bumped up my calories and I can defentilly see the changes,

Thanks guys