Cooky Baking Secret

Options
I'm in the process of baking cookies right now - fudge-filled minis & chocolate-filled orange cream puffs. The secret? I'm allergic to chocolate! Keep granola and mixed nuts far away from me, but chocolate can't tempt me. (As for cookies, oatmeal with a butter-based dough is my weakness!) I think this is something that might help others in this holiday season - bake things that you can't eat or don't like. It seems to be working!

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to any cookie ingredient and there isn't a cookie I know of that I don't like.
    When I bake cookies, I put my portion of the batch in a baggie with my name on it. I know I can eat some every day until they are gone, I pre-log my food and eat the bagged portion only. It works for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of baking cookies right now - fudge-filled minis & chocolate-filled orange cream puffs. The secret? I'm allergic to chocolate! Keep granola and mixed nuts far away from me, but chocolate can't tempt me. (As for cookies, oatmeal with a butter-based dough is my weakness!) I think this is something that might help others in this holiday season - bake things that you can't eat or don't like. It seems to be working!

Can you name me a shellfish cookie or cake please?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't have any allergies that I know of, and I like all cookies... :#
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Sadly, give me all the cookies!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Bad idea, at least for me. If I have ingredients I am allergic to in the house, it can create a very dangerous and deadly situation.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think walnuts ruin a good cookie. Seem to be in the minority on that. Wasn't going to bake this season but realized if I put walnuts in, I'll have zero interest. Kind of sad I have to use walnuts to control myself. There's hope though. A friend dropped off a plate of yummy cookies Thursday. I had two yesterday and will have two more today. Family ate the rest.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying in theory, but I find it a little sad -- and risky.

I taste whatever I'm baking to make sure it's on point. And, oh yeah, there's that enjoyment element because life is short and...homemade baked goods!! :)
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    My daughter doesn't like nuts in things, so I leave them out when I'm baking for her, but this makes me sad because I think nuts enhance almost anything. My daily snack here at MFP in fact is usually some nuts! I have a real need to bake - lifelong - baked for my family, baked for my office, then with family moved out of town and now retired, I've been baking for my condo building and for meetings of various groups. This is for a lunch meeting on Tuesday and any leftovers will go to my condo board meeting on Wednesday. I almost NEVER eat anything I've baked - my driving need/obsession is to be baking, not to eat any of it. So I guess I'm lucky that way.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Bad idea, at least for me. If I have ingredients I am allergic to in the house, it can create a very dangerous and deadly situation.

Right? I don't understand this logic.

I'm allergic to eggs. My boyfriend is allergic to most nuts. Peanut dust triggers allergic reactions, so I don't keep anything he's allergic to in the house. My boyfriend does cook with eggs and when he does, my eyes are swollen and teary the rest of the day, and I get a runny nose and sneeze. If I eat something with eggs, I can get anaphylaxis, which has happened in the past D:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You do not want to know what I made for myself yesterday. Just sayin'...

I have celiac disease, my other family members don't. The majority of the holiday baking that happens in this house? I simply can't eat it.

I make myself one kind of cookie every year that's gluten free.

My weakness is your weakness. I've been at this long enough to know that I can eat a portion and walk away. If I didn't know that, I simply wouldn't have made any cookies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made Cinammon Roll Sugar Cookies, Orange Truffles, Raspberry Truffles, Lemon Melting Moments, Christmas Fudge and White Chocolate Rocky Road. I'm actually not really interested in eating any of it lol, I do it for the love of making it.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Allergic to chocolate? You poor, poor thing. I will eat all the chocolate for you this year. :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made Cinammon Roll Sugar Cookies, Orange Truffles, Raspberry Truffles, Lemon Melting Moments, Christmas Fudge and White Chocolate Rocky Road. I'm actually not really interested in eating any of it lol, I do it for the love of making it.

Wow, do you also leap tall buildings in a single bound?! My hat is off!!!

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I only bake cookies once a year, for Christmas. Years ago back in the old country, I would bake a batch each of 5-6 kinds of new cookies each year and portion aout the whole assorted lot to give to family when we visit for Christmas. They never had time to bake and loved them, for me it was a way to put a smile on their face and as a bonus we had a small batch of delicious assorted cookies for ourselves.

Since coming to Canada, we started giving out bags of cookies to several neighbours on our street. Everyone is happy, I get to enjoy a full day of baking with my daughter, she loves preparing the packages and giving the gifts, the neighbours are happy and we get to still enjoy a small batch of assorted home-made cookies to ourselves.

So maybe this could work as a strategy - bake a full dose of something you love and immediately give most of it away to someone ypu know who would enjoy the gesture and the home-made food. It's a total win - win - win :)
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made chocolate chip cookies tonight. I baked a few and put the rest (pre portioned) in the freezer. That way I can bake a single cookie if I want it. But I really have to want it to go to the trouble of baking it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I can't eat nuts, raisins, coconut or fruit so that makes making inaccessible cookies easy. BTW not allergies but trigger foods for my Crohn's.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

It was a marathon effort, that's for sure!! Delicious pay off though, apparently, they're getting a lot of love at the office.

What's funny is that the big ticket item was the melting moments, which I make every year due to popularity, but personally I don't like them!
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

vivmom2014 wrote: »

It was a marathon effort, that's for sure!! Delicious pay off though, apparently, they're getting a lot of love at the office.

What's funny is that the big ticket item was the melting moments, which I make every year due to popularity, but personally I don't like them!

Not a fan of melting moments either.
    Not allergic to anything and sounds risky to bake items that you are allergic to.
    I don't like shortbread though, so wouldn't be tempted to eat them if I baked them.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Bake me all the cookies and I'll eat them - problem solved !!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Give your nephew (or other young kid in your life) the baked good and tell him to give you half. He'll always give you the smallest half.