Too old ?

Options
LeeMay63
LeeMay63 Posts: 36 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 52 and am embarrassed to say have never really exercised. I have always been really thin up until a few years ago. I have gone from 99 lbs to 137 and want to lose at least 17-20 lbs. I walk 2000 steps a day according to Fitbit. Wanna know if it would be worth it to join a gym(Anytime Fitness) or just try and walk more ? I have cut out junk food,too.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Resistance training (body weight or with machines) is great for all women no matter what age.
    http://www.nj.com/healthfit/fitness/index.ssf/2015/04/post_49.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    My oldest client right now is 83. You do physical activity that you are able to, not attempt what you cannot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and swim 3 - 4 days a week. You're never too old to at least TRY!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and walk or hike everyday. My goal is 15,000 steps a day.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and just started walking "on purpose" a few weeks ago. I already see a lot of results, including increased stamina and actually enjoying walking. What do you have to lose by starting right now?

Since you can and do walk 2000 steps a day, then raise your goal to 2500 steps a day. When you can do that comfortably every day for a week, then raise it again. Small raises! You don't want to make a goal that's too hard to reach. That'll lead to burnout or even injury. You'll see results if you keep at it.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    By worth it do you mean the money or the results? Walking is free and that combined with awareness of what you eat will show results. If you really want to try something other than walking then yes a gym is worth it if you are committed to putting in the time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't start running until my early 50s.........
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You're too old when you're dead. Get going, best of luck.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I am 56 years old and participated in 3 half marathons and ran 8 miles yesterday. You are too young to think that you are old. :)
  • LeeMay63
    LeeMay63 Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Of course you are not too old. At 55 I had gone up to 130lb from my normal 105lb (5'1).

I started counting calories and doing formal exercises for the first time in my life (even skipped it in school).

I started with aqua fit and walking, 5-10km races. Since I have; belly danced, learnt to swim, done lots of Zumba, rowed for miles on the rowing machine, done Pilates and core classes, and conquered bodyweight routines. Probably a few more things that I forgot too.

This fall I just started lifting heavy (All Pro) and yoga.

All this means I have the best vacations; trekking through tropical forests ( pony and foot) to swim in pools fed by waterfalls, snorkel with the fish in the Caribbean Sea, zip line, rappel down cliffs, and walk around ancient and new cities to my hearts content, etc, etc.

I am now 62, weigh 100-105lb (maintained 6 yr) and have never been fitter.

Get started, find something you enjoy, and experiment a lot. And best of all have fun doing it. I will never love exercise, so I make it as much fun as possible.

Cheers, h.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm 52 in January.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    My husband turned 52 in 2007. That year he cycled a Super Randonneur series (200 km, 300 km, 400 km and 600 km) then flew to Europe where we cycled 1200 km together, 400 km of which was part of an event and 800 km of which was part of a cycling tour. Oh, and he cycled those 1200 km on a fixed gear bicycle. Plus, of course, a whole lot of other cycling during the year.

I don't think he thought 52 was too old to exercise.

Yes, I would encourage you to start walking more and maybe pick up a small set of weights for home use. Try that for a while, and then check out the gyms in your area to see if there's one that appeals to you. Also try different sports and exercises. We all like different things. Perhaps swimming might be something you'd enjoy ... you could check out the pools and see what kind of classes they've got. Or maybe you'd be interested in joining a learn to run clinic. Lots of options. :)