Is LIKE button in MFP a Blessing or a Curse.

Options
2»

Replies

• Dalia444
    Dalia444 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to MFP so I'm not sure what life was like before like. I think I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that there is quite a bit of interaction. Some friends are great about commenting regularly others are more sporadic. But it's also probably a bit of give and take as people become more accustomed to each other. I like to interact - no pun intended- so I try to give as well.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The like button is good for diary posts and such. Substantive posts, I usually take the time to comment. Not every post requires a comment.
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's the like button. I have been here since before the like button and that change (from more meaningful comments to just receiving likes) happened almost immediately when the button came into being.

This! I too have noticed this change and while the like button is useful on really busy days, for the most part I really try to write something supportive to my friends on here. There's just something about a comment that feels so much better than a "like".
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I dislike the "like" button, definitely. It was way better before they put it on here. People used to look and pay attention more, when leaving comments. Sure, it's efficient time wise, but, if you have time problems, don't add tons of friends, or, just comment when time allows you.
  • Attar_1
    Attar_1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I have 44 friends and make an effort to write comments on the most active of them daily. We have a solid core of people who communicate beyond the like button. It was helped by one guy who said on the boards here that if we wanted to friend him he'd appreciate it, but he'd remove anyone who just used the like button all the time. I've made a much bigger effort to write comments since then. I remove people who don't write or like anything after a month. I'll take a like, as many do nothing.

Can I be no.45 please ?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's really hard to think of anything besides "Great job!" lol. I don't like saying trite things and will only say something when I have something worthwhile to say. I do find myself liking things simply to let the person know I'm paying attention without having to type out "Great job!" or "Awesome" on my phone. I am more prone to typing out something on the computer but when I'm on the phone or even my tablet, I hate typing anything.

I like getting likes. I don't think of them as lazy, I appreciate the person reading my status and liking it.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree...I likes more interaction. Like button is too easy..but it does acknowledge your friends have read the post. Some posts really do not need acknowledgement. I am not sure how many posts come up each day for a friend, but it seems like 4 or so. And, when you have 10 friends or so, that is a lot of posts to acknowledge. ..I am going to see if I can stop some of of notifications.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing any like button on MFP at all. :/
  • Attar_1
    Options
    Thank you all, still looking for more real supportive friend
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate the like button. I find myself using it out of support, but now thinking about it, I don't really notice when someone likes my post because its nearly meaningless. What does annoy me is when I'm struggling and the best thing I can get is a "like" when actual thoughtful interaction would be much more warranted.
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Actually this is also why I'm not on Facebook. Its so impersonal and ingenuine at times.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I'm not seeing any like button on MFP at all. :/

On the iOS app, these can be found on status updates on the Home page / newsfeed. I have a screen grab of a status update here, the "Like" button is on the bottom left

yd29n97fmi90.jpeg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I don't have things to say about every status update, and frankly I also use the Like buttons as a way to mark my spot on the newsfeed, since I sometimes only catch up after two or three days. Other than that I try to do the oddball "Great Job" and killer burn but not always. Usually if an actual discussion comes up, I'll participate. Or if I have questions about a workout someone has done, I'm not shy about asking. But 100% "way to go" or "killed it" for me is just not enough material for sustainable conversations over multiple months and possibly even years!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Sometimes it's really hard to think of anything besides "Great job!" lol. I don't like saying trite things and will only say something when I have something worthwhile to say. I do find myself liking things simply to let the person know I'm paying attention without having to type out "Great job!" or "Awesome" on my phone . . . I like getting likes. I don't think of them as lazy, I appreciate the person reading my status and liking it.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Other than that I try to do the oddball "Great Job" and killer burn but not always. Usually if an actual discussion comes up, I'll participate. Or if I have questions about a workout someone has done, I'm not shy about asking. But 100% "way to go" or "killed it" for me is just not enough material for sustainable conversations over multiple months and possibly even years!

^^^^ These.

I really do like seeing that my friends "like" my progress - it is an acknowledgment, and enough for me. If I get a comment, that is great too. I'm glad MFP has the option.

• ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I love it when I get comments on my status! It helps me stay accountable and motivated. I don't want to let my MFP friends down. I'm ok with the like button on my diary...it's not open anyway. I love to make comments too, and love to support people on their journey. I have only been on here since the summer and didn't get involved right away.....I didn't even realize it was a social platform tbh. Lol

If you want you can add me! But I can be a bit of a smartass at times....that's your only warning!!
  • Attar_1
    Options
    Thanks all,
    waiting for more replies and for more friends
  • Attar_1
    Options
    Any more ?