canned tuna lunch ideas?

Options
pineappleluv16
pineappleluv16 Posts: 3 Member
I really like tuna and stuff but I am not a fan of mayo or anything like that, so I am just looking for some easy delicious things I can pack myself for lunch for school!

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    tuna, hard boiled egg and mashed avocado salad in a wrap or tortilla?
  • Ditzy50
    Ditzy50 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I you just want a quickie meal. I have a container with elements separate and take a mountain bread. In the container I have various things like grated cheese, grated carrot, slices of cucumber or few pieces of mango and rocket. In a small container take your own homemade dressing and makes it easier Yum! Can make various homemade dressing with olive oil lemon herbs and vinegar.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    tuna and humus with gherkins in a salad or wrap. Niscoise salad also good
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    mix with guacamole or coleslaw for a quick, high protein snack.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I like tuna mixed with a dollop of plain yogurt, chopped granny smith apples, raisins, and curry powder (to taste)
  • hellokristen
    hellokristen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with just mustard and pickle and hard boiled eggs. No mayo. Eat it in a wrap or with wassa crackers.
    Also I mix it with Newman's own Soy Ginger dressing and eat it with a slaw, wrapped in a sheet of seaweed like a sushi handroll.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of Italian style tuna salads with olive oil dressing. Some with or without white beans. I made this one. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuna-salad-puttanesca-style.html

Also I love tuna nicoise salad. It is french style with hard boiled eggs, boiled potato, green beans, olives.

I like Skinnytaste's recipe for tuna ceviche. Has avocado, lime, jalapeno, tomato and red onion.

Some people make tuna melts. I have not tried that one yet. I did make Rachael Ray's tuna puttanesca. It was great.
  • withypoll
    withypoll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here! I also mix tuna with mustard or guacamole and add to salad.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I also made Dr. Oz's Total 10 Mediterranean Bowl. I made it raw. I did not cook any of the veggies. I used 1 small zucchini, 1 small yellow squash, 2 radishes, several slices of cucumber, 2 pepperoncini sliced(instead of pickles), some red onion, 5 yellow cherry tomatoes. I skipped the cabbage all together. It made plenty. I seasoned with salt, black and red pepper. Stirred together with the hummus and a little lemon juice. Then I topped with can tuna. I did not want to bother cooking the chicken. It was very good! The liquid from the veggies mixed with the hummus made a nice dressing. I really liked the pepperoncini too. I would make again.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    withypoll wrote: »
    Lots of great ideas here! I also mix tuna with mustard or guacamole and add to salad.

Yeah, I mix it with mustard too. It takes the edge of the fishy taste/smell.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My tuna salad is very simple and takes less than 5 minutes to make. I only learned people use mayo with tuna on the internet. I just add a diced tomato, a pressed clove of garlic, juice of half a lemon, some olive oil, a diced pickle, and capers.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My tuna salad is very simple and takes less than 5 minutes to make. I only learned people use mayo with tuna on the internet. I just add a diced tomato, a pressed clove of garlic, juice of half a lemon, some olive oil, a diced pickle, and capers.

This sounds delightful! I believe this may be my lunch, tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I mix it with lawry's lemon pepper marinade - I have since I was a kid!

I also like making tuna cakes with scallion, sometimes a filler, and pan sear.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was definitely distracted when I wrote my last post and forgot the tell you how we do ours. Oops!

I was always a mayo, hard-boiled egg, onion, and celery person until about five years ago when I met my boyfriend. He makes tuna with the smallest amount of mayo I cannot even tell it's in there ( think it acts mostly as a binder, but to be honest, it would probably be just fine without it) plus lots of low-sodium Old Bay and some cracked black pepper. I love it that way, by itself, on whole wheat toast, pita, tortillas, with crackers, or wrapped in lettuce.