any older females lifting weights

Options
Hi,
my weight loss started in May this year so far I've lost 50lbs, I do a mixture of cardio and weights but I'm finding I'm getting more into the weights, was just wondering if there are any other females out there 45+ lifting weights and enjoying it.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far, great to hear you are getting into lifting.

I am an older woman, I just started All Pro two weeks ago. So far I am enjoying the challenge - doing a mix of bar and dumbbell.
    Prior to that I was doing nerdfitness' bodyweight routine and hand weights.

There are lots of women around your age on the boards who lift. You are not alone.

Cheers, h.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm not 45, but consider myself older at 41. I've been lifting for just over a year and love it. Wish I had started sooner.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 48

but lifting has returned my body and my strutting to my 20s

:)
  • mumofzoe
    mumofzoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    41 old , I must be prehistoric then.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and started 2 months ago. Limited to 2x per week because I'm in PT 2x per week. As soon as that's over, I'll be in the gym lifting 4x per week.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'll be 47 in a few weeks. Deadlift 210, squat 145, and I prefer not to think about my bench press. It's awesome fun and I have visible arm muscles for the first time in my entire life.

You definitely want to run a good progressive program. I started out on Starting Strength and now I do 5/3/1.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 53 and have been doing a home workout with dumbbells for over four months now. I don't love it, but I do like the results I've gotten. I consider it a necessary evil.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yep, 46. Love it. Kickbox for cardio cos I love that too.

Roughly 3 years.
  • mumofzoe
    mumofzoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Im 48 only been doing weight a short while but I cant get enough of it and my other love is boxing, fantastic for getting rid of stress. Growing old disgracefully
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, 66 and I've been taking Body Pump classes plus some cardio, yoga and pilates since the beginning of my 51 lb. weight loss (almost 2 years now). Love the resistance training. It's totally reshaped my body. Went from US size 14/16 to 2/4 Petite.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm 50
    I lift, do Pilates, and do yoga
    (and run and cycle)

Glad you've found what you enjoy!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Started lifting at 52....a little more than a year into it. I have some weak points due to past injuries and know I'll never be superwoman, but I do work-arounds and continue on!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i'm almost 49 , i power lift and love it. I am the healthiest and strongest that i've ever been.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    LOL..........I'm 65 and have been lifting for a year now.........doing SL right now. I'm much stronger now than I was in my 40's!

Lifting weights at an advanced age is a big bonus for bone density and body transformation!!!

Keep it up!!
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    62 here. Doing a strength training routine 2X a week at a small gym run by a guy who is a retired Big 10 track and field coach. I'm on my third month and am MUCH stronger, starting to see changes in my upper body. Hoping to add a third day a week after the holidays. Great for mood!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'll be 54 in a couple of weeks and have been lifting for 2 1/2 years. My doctor advised it to strengthen my bones after a bone scan showed more thinning than normal for my age. I don't think I really fall into the category of "loving" it, but I do love the results.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I've lifted weights (progressive, but not the rep range for 'heavy') for ages and ages, with breaks for various reasons. I enjoy it. It's not the highlight of my day, but I do enjoy it... and the results are what I enjoy even more.

I'm 45 and disabled with chronic neck/back pain for about 12 years now. Still lifting, after many modifications, obviously :grin: I only wish I could lift 'real' weight on my very bad parts. Still working on getting those strong enough to function normally, but I'm keeping them healthy against arthritis and real atrophy setting in at least. I bet I figure out one day the perfect plan to strengthen them without too much lasting pain and weakness from it. Out of the gazillion ways to strengthen things, I'll figure it out eventually!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Am 61 and starting dumb bell lifting 2 1/2 months ago. I've now added an ez curl bar and am eyeing a rack for the garage to transition to barbell an overhead press, squats and dead lifts. I'm going very slowly so I don't get injured. I have Stronglifts 5x5 and fitness blender on my phone. I'm close but really like working out in the am before work at home.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    73 and bowflex for resistance.