It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Options
But not for dieters! How is everybody planning to cope with the food and drink avalanche that will be thrust upon us in a couple of weeks? I belong to a family that don't conceive gatherings, no matter how small, without a glass of wine in one hand and a canape in the other! And Im so feeble...:-(
Before anyone says "just tell them no" , think of my family as the family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, lol.
Any coping strategies?! Thanks!!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Work it into your calorie goal the best you can. Log it and move on. If you go over one day, get back to the grind the next day. The reality of it is that a few days (or even weeks) out of the year is a drop in the bucket. So long as you don't spend 365 days of the year eating like you're at some grand party, you'll be fine.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I bump up to maintenance for holidays. I slowly sip my glass of wine, enjoy my favorites in moderation, and enjoy the time with my family. I make sure to be very complimentary to the cooks so they know I enjoyed their wonderfully prepared food. It's only a few days so it's not a lifestyle buster.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's what you do for the rest of the year that really matters. Life's too short to not enjoy the holidays and family, just don't go crazy. 3 days, 7 days or 10 days out of 365, it's a very small percentage.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even if I'm over my count. It's a pain to log every canapé so I try not to nibble to much. It's a little embarrassing to log 25 oz of wine, but I have, and won't use a quick add for that. The next party, I eat and drink less because I remember my 2000 calories in the red from the previous party. Last night, or party number two, I drank much less so also ate less.

Christmas is one day and I'll go to town then. But I really don't want to overeat for a month as I've done that for too many years and can gain almost ten pounds from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
  • cristinagarciabartolome
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, they really are helpful. I guess I was approaching the coming holiday with an all-or-nothing mentality (I will overeat,,therefore the whole diet will implode forever and my life is over!), which is so typical of me, to be honest. I guess a few days really dont matter as long as you dont go wild and you get back on track afterwards. I also love the idea of logging everything, so that way you see what you are doing and can avoid mindless eating (another favourite passtime of mine!).
    So thanks, guys! :-)
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Enjoy Christmas then get back on track. It's definitely a lifestyle so being consistent over a long period of time is where you will see results!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Whenever I know that I'll be around delicious, unresistable foods, I'll eat something healthy and filling about an.hour before I go. That way I don't show up hungry and am able to pick and choose what really tempts me without diving face first into the buffet.
  • MsDaniG
    MsDaniG Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What I have been trying to do is plan out what I want to eat or drink so I know where it fits into my goals and then find a way to make up for it. My team at work is going to a new restaurant tomorrow for our Christmas Party so I pulled up the menu online and found something I would like and it would put me slighlty over my goal so I am going to squeeze in some extra cardio while my son is at Basketball practice to make up for it. Another thing is maybe you can still enjoy most of everything but just put very small portions on your placte or use a saucer. If you must have wine , just limit it and sip slow. :smiley:
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Just have One. One. One. One. No more. Switch to sparkling water and carrot sticks thereafter.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I make a huge, beautiful dinner on the day. I'm gonna have a cheat day. We're doing this to enjoy life for longer right? We have to actually enjoy it on these occasions, and it's okay to do so every so often.

I will say that on my cheat days however, I do set a soft goal of hitting my maintainence intake. That way it doesn't feel like I did harm to diet, just paused it.

• faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This won't be a popular solution, but for me: I don't do sugar any more. My family knows this and they know about my weight loss goals (and success so far). Moderation has never worked for me and one cookie can send me into a three day binge. SO, I bring my favorite healthy foods (sometimes a more complicated recipe so I still feel like I'm treating myself, and fruit is excellent for helping to avoid sweets), and thankfully my family doesn't offer me their goodies. They eat their thing, I eat mine.

OR, offer to cook! Make some healthy/healthier sweets or treats that you'll feel good about eating, and share them with your family!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Unless the buffet table and bar are 2 steps from the front door, try to avoid going near them as long as possible. Mingle with anyone who's not near the food. Once you do get your food, move away so you don't mindlessly reach for one more something.

If you feel your self-control slipping, head for the restroom and take a moment to talk yourself off the ledge. Assuming a clean bathroom
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Whenever I know that I'll be around delicious, unresistable foods, I'll eat something healthy and filling about an.hour before I go. That way I don't show up hungry and am able to pick and choose what really tempts me without diving face first into the buffet.

lol ! That's me! Or has been me. The last buffet was an Indian one for Diwali. I look forward to it every year. I actually did well. I pre-logged and got sensible portions. The naan really is a hit but pre-logging I only ate a quarter piece, so no deprivation. Worked great! (I even drank that night and didn't go too over. I prepared a week before and got mentally ready for it too. OP, Sounds like you've made some good connections in your mind. You'll do great.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just go with it. I'm going to have wine, I'm going to have christmas cookies and handfuls of peanut M&Ms, and I'm going to eat cinnamon rolls on christmas morning and sip hot cocoa. Wouldn't be the holidays without it, not interested in giving it up. Moderation is key :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, they really are helpful. I guess I was approaching the coming holiday with an all-or-nothing mentality (I will overeat,,therefore the whole diet will implode forever and my life is over!), which is so typical of me, to be honest. I guess a few days really dont matter as long as you dont go wild and you get back on track afterwards. I also love the idea of logging everything, so that way you see what you are doing and can avoid mindless eating (another favourite passtime of mine!).
    So thanks, guys! :-)

I totally get this (and I don't have the Greek wedding family, lol). "Moderation is key" is just a phrase in the moment. I do make sure that on the days I'm NOT at some kind of gathering, I am careful. I try to get workouts in because at this time of the year, they get squeezed out, so I make sure they count. I think the idea of logging it all is good. There is something mental afterwards that helps me. In the moment, I can justify eating or drinking anything, but if I have logged some really overshot days, the memory of that slows me down. Hmm, lots of good ideas here for me too!! :heart:
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I decided that from thanksgiving until January 1 I can relax a bit and enjoy the season(still logging and keeping track). Okay if I stall or even gain a few pounds. I can get right back to work and feel good about it.
  • JaanaNuku
    JaanaNuku Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think logging things is the key.
    It's the mindless all-or-nothing that is dangerous.
  • mtatrish
    mtatrish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Logging what I eat has been very helpful. Also it helps that my daughter is dieting with me, so we are a united front. The majority of my family is very helpful. I wish my husband was as supportive as the rest. He keeps tempting foods all over the house and so far I have stayed away from them. I will have to keep that same willpower over the holidays.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy. I will log to keep an eye out. I'm in a surplus already so I don't want to get too crazy. Luckily I'll be pretty busy...traveling on xmas eve with no dinner plans, traveling on xmas day and going to a broadway show. Not really much eating involved this year.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Unless the buffet table and bar are 2 steps from the front door, try to avoid going near them as long as possible. Mingle with anyone who's not near the food. Once you do get your food, move away so you don't mindlessly reach for one more something.

If you feel your self-control slipping, head for the restroom and take a moment to talk yourself off the ledge. Assuming a clean bathroom

This is great. I have my third of four Christmas parties Friday night. I'll stay away from the grazing table. I remember standing there and munching and munching like I'd never had food before, the last two years in a row.