HRM VS Cardio Machine

Options
So I recently bought a HRM watch (without a chest band). I did the elliptical at a vigorous pace for 30 minutes and it said I only burned 90 calories. The machine said I burned around 300ish. I've always thought the machines overestimated the calories burned but I feel like my HRM is VERY low. It works perfect when I'm running but this seems off.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• gdelg732
    gdelg732 Posts: 12
    Options
    I burn about 300 in half an hour so the elliptical seems right to me.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I actually just bought one today. I got a polar FT4 with chest strap. I haven't done any cardio yet with it but I did do 20 minutes of 3 pound weights and a 10 minute standing ab workout. I burned over 100 calories.

I think your HRM is off. you should have burned a lot more calories. I think having one with a chest strap works better.
  • jimmy_jenkins
    Options
    What average HR did you get? maybe is wasnt registering properly!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    That's why a chest strap is worth the money.
  • megansprague
    Options
    I did 38 minutes on the elliptical yesterday (5 minute warm-up, 28 minutes in Weight Loss mode, 5 minute cool-down) and burned 374 calories. You probably burned more...? Try a different machine next time and compare
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM without the chest strap, and I had to return it the day after. It was way off... Got myself a polar ft4 instead, and it works like a charm. :-)
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    You need the chest strap to get a more accurate reading, I burn about 300 every 1/2 hour at a moderate pace. I bough the polar rs 100 it has a chest strap and I love it! worth every penny.. try finding a chest strap for your HRM.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You need to return it and get one with a chest strap.. other wise it won't be accurate at all.

I have a Polar FT7 and doing 30 min of an interval program on the elliptical I burn about 430 calories.