Can't seem to feel full

Options
Breakfast this morning is a nightmare. I cannot seem to fill full. I am getting very frustrated.

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    When this happens to me i eat celery and carrot sticks or make a cup of sugar free hot chocolate with almond milk or a cup of herbal tea.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Well what are you eating for breakfast? Protein, fats and fiber should keep you satiated.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just recently solved this problem for myself. Try looking at the days where you feel full and see what the difference is. For me, I realized the days when I only had breakfast and a large carb heavy lunch were the days when I felt full that whole day. Also, try to make sure it's not just a craving, sometimes my brain likes to tell me I'm hungry but when I drink a cup of tea I realize it was just a craving and I'm fine.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I usually blend one scoop of protein powder (~100 calories) with water or unsweetened almond milk (30 calories) when I'm starving and consume it with maybe an egg, oatmeal, or something else and usually my hunger goes right away!
    Also, ThinSlim foods sell bread which has 50 calories per slice, but a TON of fiber and that stuff sits like a rock in my stomach! The plain or rye is my personal favorite, but they're all pretty good! Kind of chewy and dense so it definitely makes you slow down a little. Also pricey, but definitely worth it if you're desperate. I wouldn't recommend some of their other desserts, however, which have low calories but taste really fake to me.
    Good luck!
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal, and either yogurt or a piece of fruit for breakfast and a cup of tea and Im full for 2.5-3.5 hours or so.
  • JenR1008
    JenR1008 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, then I got an egg and cheese sandwich. The oatmeal usually malkes me full. This weekend was very stressful...could that have an affect?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What do you have for breakfast? How many calories?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's me during PMS. Ended up finally satisfied after 700 calories yesterday...
  • JenR1008
    Options
    I am 610 calories over tonight. I have no idea what happened today. I finally felt full after 10:30 when I ate the last of my smart pop popcorn. I'm going to chalk this up to one bad day and move forward. I had a nice dinner and I feel good. Thanks everyone!
  • kbwilding
    kbwilding Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your protein intake. I bet you were low. Oatmeal never sticks for me- I'm starving after a couple hours...
  • JenR1008
    Options
    I am adding fibrous fruit to the oatmeal. Seems to help and I need to eat 1.5 servings. Its a small trade off considering I am not eating everything in sight now. That was an awful feeling.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Well what are you eating for breakfast? Protein, fats and fiber should keep you satiated.

This^

It's going to vary for everyone. Some people can stay full on fat free protein....not me. Others can stay full on fat free fiber....not me.

For oatmeal I will add chopped nuts (for fat) or stir in nut butter. Using milk instead of water (for protein)....or adding protein powder also helps.

Greek yogurt with FiberOne or Grapenuts has been my go to breakfast of late.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Greek yogurt with Grapenuts has been my go to breakfast of late.
    That sounds delicious.

Mostly my breakfasts are a large salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, celery) spiced with lemon/lime and a tsp of olive oil, eaten with ~ 4 oz of yoghurt and 3-4 slices of Wasa or Lachmit crackers. Works out to ~ 350 kCal. Finished up with a large cup or two of unsweetened tea. I am rarely hungry before lunch (noontime-ish.)

I alternate with oatmeal, just because I really like it. Strange, I know.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JenR1008 wrote: »
    Oatmeal, then I got an egg and cheese sandwich. The oatmeal usually malkes me full. This weekend was very stressful...could that have an affect?

It does for me, especially if I also don't sleep well. It's likely mental hunger only -- in those kinds of cases I eat what I normally do and remind myself lunch isn't that far away and focus on other things. Maybe I have extra coffee or some raw veg.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    One thing that I have learned is that the need to "feel full" is psychological. You don't need to feel full all the time. As long as you aren't literally starving or getting dizzy from lack of food, you should be able to hold off until your next meal. If it's after supper and you're hungry and already at your calorie goal, it's not going to kill you to go to bed hungry. You will make it through the night, I promise. Hunger isn't physically painful. The need to feel stuffed and bloated is a pretty recent first-world phenomenon. Learn to be okay with simply feeling satisfied with getting enough food to fuel your body. Your mind will adapt over time.
    Some cultures teach that if you feel full after eating you have eaten too much.

So very much as you say, hunger has a BIG perception component. Fuhrman of the Nutritarian movement tries to teach people to recognize the difference between what I think he calls real and fake hunger. I don't know details or how successful his teachings has been.

• JenR1008
    Options
    I kept telling myself to be mindful that day. It just did not work. Today was great and I have a few calories left over. I even got a PB cookie with PB cup stuffed inside for dessert! the amazing thing is that 1 cookie was enough.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm glad today was better for you. I found I get ravenous the week before TOM, and usually after two days of being off the rails, I figure out why. It's improved these last few months. If it's a one off day, I wouldn't worry about it too much. These things happen, it may slow your progress, but it shouldn't stop it. If it happens more regularly, you might need to reevaluate your goals to make sure you aren't expecting (cutting) too much.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    For me another great ploy in the mind hunger gains is to either get some light exercise or just go DO something. If I'm not thinking about food I'm not hungry
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was 293lbs four years ago 185 lbs now I eat 900-1100 calories every morning for breakfast because I need to feel full in the am.. Figure out what works for you and do it..

open up your diary please
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    She didn't say this was a regular problem. It was a one day thing based on the same breakfast she normally had. I doubt it's food choice.