Shooting Electric pain in quad and knee

Options
Hello all,

I'm a biker and a runner. With the weather changing in August, I started to use running as my primary exercise instead of cycling. My baseline is 5 miles, so i started there and was fine. Sadly, I wasn't losing any weight, so i increased over the course of 3-4 months to running 8 miles daily. I admit I do not stretch before or after a run. Well, I had never had any problems, no aches or pains, and then bam! I have a shin split on my left leg and shooting electric like pain in my right leg.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm guessing it some kind of nerve problem. It just comes out of nowhere, and then I'm writhing. What can I do? I don't seem to be able to run at all now, and it's seriously stressing me out. I've tried cross training with the elliptical and stair climber, but that doesn't give the same workout as a good run.

Ugh, I'm completely at the end of my rope. And suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Are you Robocop?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, duh. The oil pan ran dry and the engine has come to a red-hot screeching halt.
    1. Rest days
    2. Stretches before and after
    3. Alternate ice and heat, and foam roller
    4. Get new shoes. You wore your old ones out
  • thechicagogal
    thechicagogal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been resting for almost a week now. My last 8 mile run was last Tuesday, Dec 8th. I'm going to lose all my momentum...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My last 8 mile run was last Tuesday, Dec 8th. I'm going to lose all my momentum...

Hopefully you do. Rest is the best approach for unexplained pain. :+1:

These things are hard to self-diagnose, so you might need to see a sports doctor, sports physiotherapist, etc. The shin splints might have caused compensation in your gait.

Weight loss should come from a calorie reduction, not from increasing exercise. Exercise is for maintaining fitness. Do you do strength training?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    The pain is likely from an impingement somewhere in your low back area. People who get sciatica get this pain often.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • thechicagogal
    thechicagogal Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Weight loss should come from a calorie reduction, not from increasing exercise. Exercise is for maintaining fitness. Do you do strength training? [/quote]

No, I admit, I do not do strength training. I usually go to the gym and am completely baffled by the lifting equipment.