How come I have around 36-38 inch hips if my body fat is 14%?

Options
I've had my body fat professionally tested 3 times and have been making progress along with the numbers decreasing so I know they're accurate or at least pretty accurate. Can't remember decimals but first body fat measurement was 38% then 8 months later was 22% then very recently is 14% (which I'm convinced is either accurate or close to it since I'm starting to get light abs, veins sticking out of calves, plus they said its pretty accurate). What baffles me is my hips are STILL around 36 inches (give or take an inch or two up) so basically 36-38 inches. How can I have 36-38 inch hips with 14% body fat? Every other lean girl I've personally met had smaller hip measurements. By the way I eat healthy, lift weights, do yoga, and sometimes cardio HIIT.
Ps- no, I've never been pregnant nor am I.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Could just be how your built.

How are you having your BF% tested? There could also be some error there if it's being tested with a method that is has a greater margin of error.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    That may just be the way you are built... Doesn't Barbie also have 36" hips?
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    @shadow2soul I've been having it tested 2 ways. One is those things you hold at the gym. Another is Dexa scan that are done at hospitals. If not 14%, I'm pretty sure it's at least under 20% for sure. I don't know how low body fat has to be for light abs, veins sticking out on all limbs, and a flat stomach. But either way, I thought my hips would have gotten much smaller. They barely changed sized throughout my entire weight and fat loss.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have pretty broad shoulders, so I would expect you have a broad pelvis as well - you don't look like you are carrying a lot of fat there, so I'm not sure there is anything you can do to reduce the size.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bones. You have an hourglass figure.
  • Childfree1991
    Options
    @tcunbeliever Broad pelvis? Ok then. I guess there's all something we hate about yourself. I'll be honest. I'd do anything to have smaller hips :(
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Curvy is cool! Love yourself! Why do we always want something we can't have?
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Some women's hip bones flare out more than others. Sounds like this is just the way you are built.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    My hips are around 37". No clue what my BF% is, but my hip bones stick out so that measurement isn't getting any smaller. My waist is 27".

Why do you want smaller hips? Looking at your picture, your an hour glass figure.
  • Childfree1991
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Curvy is cool! Love yourself! Why do we always want something we can't have?
    Lol...I don't know. I'll be honest. When I'm on college campus, I often get jealous of the female students who have smaller hips than me...

• Childfree1991
    Options
    Ok, well thanks for your responses you guys. I guess (from what you replied) this is something I can't change. And @shadow2soul there's a few reasons I want smaller hips. One is because sometimes it's hard to fit in skinny jeans which is probably because they're made for girls with small hips but I like skinny jeans so much so it sucks. Another is because on occasion I trip when I run and did research which said people with bigger hips are more likely to trip when they run. It's why Cardio (run) is the least amount out of the exercises I do. And the last reason is because for some reason I look in the mirror (any mirror or reflection/camera shot) and look fat down there where my hips are. A few family members have told me to see a therapist which I find highly offensive.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I wouldn't take offense to it. They are probably worried because it sounds like you have body image issues.

As for the tripping while running being from wide hips....well that sounds like a load of BS to me, but that's just my opinion. I run a lot and in the padt year have tripped maybe 3 times.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take offense to it. They are probably worried because it sounds like you have body image issues.

As for the tripping while running being from wide hips....well that sounds like a load of BS to me, but that's just my opinion. I run a lot and in the padt year have tripped maybe 3 times.

I agree with this also. I don't run but hike a lot and have face planted three times this year alone. I have pics to prove it. LOL
  • Childfree1991
    Options

Ok, thanks :) Now that you mention body image issues, you may be right. And now that I think about it, maybe it's from all the bullying I received in high school and trade school when I was very overweight. I'll try to keep a more positive mindset.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    At my thinnest (UK size 10, US 6) my hips were about 37/38", and I don't think they could get much smaller. I'm not too far off that size again now, and I'm happy to have an hourglass figure. Also I've had 3 babies, and I've had easy labours and never needed stitches even, so I have my child bearing hips to thank lol. One day you may be grateful for the same!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's just your natural body structure. You were blessed with child birthing hips. So you've got they going for you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    36in hips is XS? (https://www.jcrew.com/sizecharts/main.jsp?sizeChart=1,1)

Not sure what you hope to achieve.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think you have unrealistic expectations. You can't change your bone structure. You do NOT have big hips, and you're still comparing yourself to very, VERY petite women. I think your family is right to be concerned that you have body image issues.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ok, well thanks for your responses you guys. I guess (from what you replied) this is something I can't change. And @shadow2soul there's a few reasons I want smaller hips. One is because sometimes it's hard to fit in skinny jeans which is probably because they're made for girls with small hips but I like skinny jeans so much so it sucks. Another is because on occasion I trip when I run and did research which said people with bigger hips are more likely to trip when they run. It's why Cardio (run) is the least amount out of the exercises I do. And the last reason is because for some reason I look in the mirror (any mirror or reflection/camera shot) and look fat down there where my hips are. A few family members have told me to see a therapist which I find highly offensive.

Back in the day before C-sections and medical interventions, big hips probably saved many of your ancestors lives! They are a great thing and nothing to be sad about. Just because the current cultural aesthetic sets unrealistic body expectations doesn't mean that we have to or should comply with them. Body diversity is beautiful!
  • Childfree1991
    Options
    I have a follow up question too by the way. Does that mean my thigh gap is permanent as well? Just wondering.