You learn something new everyday!

Options
I just learned that when you measure your hips, you actually measure around your butt! Who knew?!

Replies

• tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    :) Yep! You measure from the biggest part. Your waist is at the top of your hips.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    wait I though waist was the narrowest part of your torso even if it is above the belly button....have I been measuring there wrong?
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    wait I though waist was the narrowest part of your torso even if it is above the belly button....have I been measuring there wrong?

That is where I measure.... and my hips are around my butt. I added a measurement called "belly button" to track that too :wink:
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options
    Waist is definitely the narrowest part unless it specifies "waist at navel" otherwise there is no defining "spot" to measure at. But "hips" actually means butt? What? Americans and our silly euphemisms.
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hips as far as I am concerned are the widest part. I measure mine around my butt too. Waist, well its where your pants or belt rest. No, it is not just the narrowest part of the torso.
  • ascoope
    ascoope Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't understand how you define a waist if it's not at your belly button or narrowest part. My pants sit at my butt crack lol. Definitely not where I should measure.
    I guess on a man it would be harder to find the "waist" but on me it's very clear where my waist is and it not at my hips or my belly button!

Mine is between my lowest ribs and the very top, top, upper curve of hip bones where they come up. Which is also my narrowest point! I guess it's not on everyone though...
  • GYMPossible
    Options
    When doing a 4 site skin test or hip to waist ration anthropometric test you take belly button level as waist and hip would be at the widest circumference of your hips and over the most posterior part of your butt both in a parallel line with the ground hope this helps