Guilty Momma

Options
I'm keeping up with my food and doing great with my calorie intake, but sometimes I'm finding it hard to get in a good workout without feeling guilty for taking time away from my 5 year old. I'm still getting in about 250 - 300 calories burned in my workouts about 5 times a week, but still feel like it's not enough.

I can't work-out in the morning otherwise I will wake-up the whole house (5 year old, husband, and 2 noisy dogs), but feeling guilty at night when I come home to workout...I've been trying to incorporate my daughter as much as possible, but am running out of ideas for a good workout with 5 year old in tow :)

Any other ideas out there?????

Replies

• tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can't feel guilty about keeping yourself healthy! Where would your 5 year old be without you?
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You should not feel guilty about taking care of yourself. Can you maybe work out after you put her to bed?
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have to leave early before my kids wake up, I am at the gym by 5:30 sometimes 6 and normally have a 2 hour workout.. but I have 2 teens at home with my 6 year old. When I was leaving at 8 I felt guilty too.. but we need to give our selves that time so our kids can have us in their lives longer =) not to mention setting a good example (exercising)
    If you can get your workout done when they are going to bed, or before they wake up..
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    its good for kids to learn a lil creativity and independence by playing on their own. she can play in her room for an hr or half an hr. whatevers long enough to get the workout you need. or do some dance workouts. my 2 yr old loves dance party time lol. and even some of the p90x workouts with all the jumping (plyometrics) or taebo she loves to do those too
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Our portable DVD player changed my life. I have a four year old that HAS to be in the same room I am at all times. I put in a DVD for him on the main tv, put the portable DVD on the floor beside the TV, put in the 30DS or Leslie's slim down in it for me (on mute). That way, I can interact with him about what is happening in the movie and I get a workout in. Sometimes he will even hop up and do jumping jacks or lunges with me!
  • Liz915
    Liz915 Posts: 123
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. What I try to do most of the time is to wait until the 1yo is napping, then sit my 5 yo down with coloring books & crayons in the same room as me. Other times, I just have to get my husband to watch the kids while I work out. I understand the way you're feeling, but just remember how your health will benefit her in the long run.
  • CodyRSweet
    CodyRSweet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! Maybe you can squeeze in a few extra fun workouts and include her? My 4 year old LOVES doing exercises with me! Helps to teach them healthy habits too :)
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not - my 5yo and 7yo LOVE doing Jillian Michaels with me! And I have to say - they smoke me every time :o)
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 yr old. I don't do intense workouts, but I do active things with her, like playing soccer in the backyard, going for walks, etc...
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I didn't even think about my DVDs and her enjoying them, too! I have all kinds I could do that she would love while encouraging healthy habits for her, too! Thanks to my MFP folks! :heart:
  • dreamer4
    dreamer4 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have found that the only activity I can get a good workout with and my kids like is Zumba. I have a 6 and 3 year old and they will dance all the way through the 20 minute video. I know they have longer ones but to tell you the truth I am dying after 20 minutes and my kids would probably dance more. My 3 year old has been using the dance moves other places too. I just tell them that it's "dance party time." We have always danced to music so they really slid right into it. I am with you though. I feel guilty if I can't do something with them. A few other things we do for exercise are:
    Bike rides
    Short hiking trips
    flying kite---you would be shocked how much cardio that can take and if you do it on a hill or on sand..;-)
    Swimming

You know the other thing that I have decided. It is good to teach them that they need to take care of their body too. I have been working with my kids to teach them to "eat the rainbow" meaning to eat a fruit/veggie from each color group every day. It is good to teach her now to get active because, at least for me, I don't want my daughter to "learn" my bad lifestyle and "learn" my weight problem. Be proud and be strong. You are doing good things for you and her!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty about taking time to work out. I usually do mine after my son goes to bed. Kids will be fine without our undivided attention for 30 minutes. I promise! :)
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I just remembered when my teens were about 6 and 7 I had just bought that tae boe (vhs) haha and I would play it but I would lower the volume and put on some dance music and my kids would be dancing around the whole time I exercised and even join me in my workout.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have three kids and I am finding it harder to squeeze in the quantity that I did before they got out on break so I am focussing on making every minute that I spend count. I am loving the Nike training app on my iPhone. I turn it on and it gives me cues as to what exercise to do and for how long and I did it today at the park while the kids played. I am sure I embarrassed the big ones pretty badly but oh well. WE are all happier when mommy gets her workout in. I also do it at the house. I let the 3yo watch a show and I just do my workout while she watches, has a snack, or plays play dough. There are a lot of pauses but it gets done. Take the time to yourself. Being unhealthy and unhappy but spending every minute with them really isn't a good trade off, Plus you need to set examples for them.

Even my 2 yo knows that I workout because it makes me feel good. She says she needs a nap when she is grumpy and mommy needs a workout if she gets grumpy, lol.
  • zumbariffic
    Options
    Think of what you are teaching your child by taking care of yourself?!?!?! I understand feeling guilty, but 30 min of time for you is not a bad thing. If you want a balance, try working out alone one day and letting your child join you the next. At 5 my son loved yoga...now at 8 he is prepping for a 5k with me. :) GOOD LUCK and ALL moms feel guilty.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can't feel guilty about keeping yourself healthy! Where would your 5 year old be without you?

I agree!!! I have a different situation as I am a SAHM to three kids and pretty soon two of them will be home for summer vacation and if I don't take time away from being a "Mommy" now, it will be a huge shock to them on summer break. I can't take a 3 month hiatus from working out. My kids know....well somedays are easier than others....but the rule is if they see "this lady" on the tv, DO NOT TALK TO MOMMY!!! "This Lady" is Chalene Johnson from Turbo Fire, LOL! I can't possibly get through an intense cardio workout with them constantly talking to me. So for 30, 45, 55 minutes....whatever it may be....it's "Mommy Time". I figure out of a 14 hour day with them, it's not that hard to ask for.

Without a healthy Mommy, they will have nothing.
  • mama_corn
    mama_corn Posts: 24
    Options
    I feel the same way as you do with my 2 year old. I also know I am a way better parent when I workout for 5 days a week but sometimes to make it to the gym 3 times is enough. I feel bad dropping my son off in child watch every day while I work out even though he loves playing with the other kids.

I'm still learning how to put myself first and establish a healthier life not just me but my entire family. It's work in progress. :smile:
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have a WII?? The Just Dance dvds are awesome and a lot of fun. The Just Dance for Kids is no joke either. My son can blow me away on that one.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I agree!!! I have a different situation as I am a SAHM to three kids and pretty soon two of them will be home for summer vacation and if I don't take time away from being a "Mommy" now, it will be a huge shock to them on summer break. I can't take a 3 month hiatus from working out. My kids know....well somedays are easier than others....but the rule is if they see "this lady" on the tv, DO NOT TALK TO MOMMY!!! "This Lady" is Chalene Johnson from Turbo Fire, LOL! I can't possibly get through an intense cardio workout with them constantly talking to me. So for 30, 45, 55 minutes....whatever it may be....it's "Mommy Time". I figure out of a 14 hour day with them, it's not that hard to ask for.

Without a healthy Mommy, they will have nothing.
    My kids love to do my workouts with me... but they know not to talk to me or I mess up hehe =)
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You are such a great role model to your daughter for getting healthy!!
    I'm not a mom, so I can't say anything about the guilt of not being there for her 24/7, but you should try to incorporate her more. Do you have forest preserves or beaches/lakes/water fronts in your area? Take her for a walk there. She can see the ducks and all the animals, you'll both get fresh air, and you'll get a walk in.
    Since time is an issue, what about 10 minute trainer a few days a week? It's by Tony Horton and it's only 10 minutes a workout - but it really kicks your butt. http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/10_minute_trainer.do.