Working Out Around My Work Schedule

Options
I was just curious to see if anyone had a similar work schedule as me, and if so, when you work out. Before work or after?

I work 6:15am - 4:45pm, so that's a 10.5 hour shift.

Will I be more willing to wake up early and go, or will I have enough motivation to go after my work day? I'm just wondering others' experiences with this.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was just curious to see if anyone had a similar work schedule as me, and if so, when you work out. Before work or after?

Will I be more willing to wake up early and go, or will I have enough motivation to go after my work day? I'm just wondering others' experiences with this.

That's a completely personal question and nobody but you can really answer it. Some people are morning people and like to get up early to work out. Some people like to sleep as long as possible and would rather work out in the afternoon.
  • melissabrindley1
    melissabrindley1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I understand that. I was just curious of other's experiences and just wanted to get a little input, because right now it's kind of up in the air for me. I don't mind waking up early because I'm a morning person, but I don't know if it will drain me before I have to into work and work all day.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    That's not bad at all, you have tons of time in the evening to workout, but you should find the time of day that works best for you. I'd love to workout in the morning but there's only about a 15% chance that I'll actually get out of bed when my alarm goes off so I go in the evenings. Don't worry about it draining you before work, I honestly feel more awake/alert and energetic at work if I workout beforehand.
  • MBM82284
    MBM82284 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I had to be at work at 6:15am there is no way in hell I'd get up early to go workout. I'd wait until the evening a few hours before bed. But I am not a morning person either.
  • Terri2874
    Terri2874 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me it's much more difficult to work out after work. I'm exhausted amd have already checked out mentally. In the morning I'm motivated to push harder....and those endorphins and good feelings are with you all day
  • melissabrindley1
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going to try to go before work.
  • kkthnxbii
    kkthnxbii Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work at *am, and I can't even get myself to workout before work. I always go after, unless I know I have something planned after work.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Almost exactly my schedule. 6am-4:30/4 days a week. I've tried to be an ealier riser to workout but it just doesn't happen. I try to get a walk in during my lunch and will save my workout to before bed. On my days off I try and stay a little more active.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I wake up in the morning and do it because I am simply not motivated to do it after work.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Is working out over your lunch hour an option?
  • melissabrindley1
    Options
    Is working out over your lunch hour an option?

No, unfortunately not. I only get 30 minutes for lunch.
  • jakehope87
    jakehope87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just try and space your eating out, keep hydrated then hit the gym straight after work, decent time to get in there before us 6:30/7 o'clockers
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

if it were me, i'd go after work...wait...that's pretty much what i do.

actually, i'm pretty variable...i like riding in the mornings before work, but only in the summer...in the winter i ride during my lunch break on nice days and go to a little community rec center if the weather is bad. i lift in the evenings after work a few days per week.

just play with your schedule and see what works...there's really not a definitive answer here as it's going to be very much personal preference.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    In theory, I like working out in the morning because it's done for the day and it's less crowded at the gym. In practice, I go after work because 4:45am is too damn early.
  • mostwhimsicalchap
    mostwhimsicalchap Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @melissabrindley1 I prefer working out first thing in the morning. Like others have said, you either prefer before or after. I wouldn't worry about feeling "drained" at work with the morning sessions. Most people ive spoken with who work out in the AM, say they feel better throughout the day, which is my own personal experience as well. I used to workout out after work a long time ago, and it felt like such a chore. Plus if I had a really rough day at work, I was more likely to skip my workout. Just my two cents.