Advice needed from people please.

Options
Hi,
Don't mean in anyway for the above to be rude, but I would like advice from people who have had life experience.
I am obese. About 15st 7lbs (uk) and I am a at a loss. I eat because I don't like myself. I have financial issues and eat to try to make myself feel better. (It doesn't) I have anxiety due to the impact of food. I've put on 4st in 3 years and my self worth has deteriorated. I now won't go to public things and social occasions because I'm ashamed and stay in eating take out to make myself 'feel better' each one is my last and 'tomorrow I will exercise'. I don't. I want to lose weight to be healthy again. Because despite everything, your health is essential. Just wanted advice as I appreciate people have been in a similar boat.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you have resources available to speak to a therapist, I think that would be the best first course of action.

Also not meant to be rude or critical, but from the tone of your post, it doesn't sound like you're in a healthy enough mental or emotional state to tackle weight loss right now.

Get your brain and emotions in order first, then you'll be better able to move on to the next task.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm 49. I used to self-medicate with food. Now, I use exercise, both regularly and to self-soothe. I get a better high and don't feel guilty afterwards :) I also had therapy. Cognitive Behavioral techniques were especially helpful.

I've battled with depression on and off for decades, and it can be really hard to exercise when I'm depressed. But I force myself to just start, and give myself permission to stop if I need to (I never do.)
  • zoeperfect14
    zoeperfect14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks lovely
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    That has always been me. I am clinically depressed, and was once diagnosed as manic depressant, but that diagnosis is no longer. I ate out of depression, would get fatter, would eat because I was depressed about that. I was a "tomorrow" person, and still kind of am. I would be a shut in, also, or tried to be. I had to force myself out, because I knew that I would regret not going to functions if I stayed home. The whole time, every time, I would get such bad anxiety that everyone was looking at me and laughing. What motivated me was a biggest loser contest at work, because money was involved. I am very competitive, esp when it's to do with money. I did great using this site, then I decided to start walking due to everyone here saying "move more". I used my dog as the motivator, because she and I were both much thinner(she's not fat, or in danger of her weight, but was heavier) when we lived in Germany. So I used everything else as an excuse to do better, it literally became an obsession, and here I am. 41-42lbs down. OP, if you have a dog, or even if you don't start walking. I was dying after like a half mile, but I have foot problems. The more I went(4-6 nights a week), the longer I would go for. It took like 3 weeks for me to get a legit mile, but you can do it! I bought a food scale, even though I was doing well with eyeballing, but I knew I would need to get used to it anyways, so I started when I really didn't need to.
  • zoeperfect14
    Options
    Thank you for your advice Kime. x
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome! I do highly recommend therapy, also. It helped me in the past, but I haven't been able to go back due to schedule conflicts, so I had just sailed by all chubby. I will always have these issues, but it makes me proud to get out of it myself! Although when I don't see results, I get so down. So very very down.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't mean in anyway for the above to be rude, but I would like advice from people who have had life experience.
    I am obese. About 15st 7lbs (uk) and I am a at a loss. I eat because I don't like myself. I have financial issues and eat to try to make myself feel better. (It doesn't) I have anxiety due to the impact of food. I've put on 4st in 3 years and my self worth has deteriorated. I now won't go to public things and social occasions because I'm ashamed and stay in eating take out to make myself 'feel better' each one is my last and 'tomorrow I will exercise'. I don't. I want to lose weight to be healthy again. Because despite everything, your health is essential. Just wanted advice as I appreciate people have been in a similar boat.

I was in therapy and started lifting and exercise to ward off thoughts of suicide. There were some very dark days where I would consumed with negative thoughts and didn't know how much I could take. I didn't want to exercise or lift at first telling myself 'what is the point of all this'. Didn't have any choice though as it was the one thing that was positive in my life. With time I started seeing results, lost 50 and started to feel better about myself. I am just now starting to get my confidence back. I was in your shoes a year ago and I can tell you there is hope. There always is even when you don't see it.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You need Dr. Phil. ;)
  • zoeperfect14
    Options
    Thank you for your honesty and kind words
  • sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have also felt like this in the past, like there was no point in taking care of myself. Fortunately I managed to get on top of it, more or less, before I put on too much weight.

I went to see my doctor about how I was feeling, not necessarily about my weight. When I feel low, upset, unworthy, I eat. I eat whatever is near/feels good/etc, this would usually be chocolate or a takeaway of some sort! He suggested starting a diary, just for myself, so that I can write down how I was feeling. This really helped. For me, I had to start looking at my feelings etc before I considered changes to food etc. I also read up a little bit on mindfulness and CBT therapy. I also got a few adult colouring books and puzzle books. Whenever I was feeling a little bit rubbish I'd do one of these and slowly the habit of grabbing food has lifted. There are still days where all I can think about is food, but I'm much more in control now than I've ever been.

I started then making small changes, when I felt ready. Things like drinking more water, going for 3 walks a week, making at least one meal from scratch per week and eating more fruit and veg and just built up from there.

Good luck! One step at a time :smile: