Calories, exercise and weight gain.. Please help!!

Options
HI everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me.
My fitness pal says for me to eat 1650 calories to loose 0.5lbs per week.
In the first few weeks I ate all the calories and sometimes a bit over and I lost 1lb and sometimes a bit more.
This week I ate a few things that were not the best choices but I ate less at the next meal and I exercised more than I have before and I gained about 1 lb.
I'm not quite sure if I actually ate all my calories either becuase I know that I didnt eat my snacks.
Plus I didnt eat any of the extra calories from the exersice.
My question is...

Did I gain because I didnt eat enough??
Am I meant to eat my exercise calories when my normal alotted calories allows me to loose 1lb?

Before I started counting calories I was only eating about 800 cals per day which I knew wasnt enough and I never lost any weight..
It just doenst seem to make sense to me that if I eat more food then I loose weight.

Replies

• Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat all your exercise calories. Also, it might help to read this - I think it explains it really well. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    YES! Eat your calories. Our bodies are really good at holding on to weight when they aren't getting enough. I too wasn't eating enough when I joined MFP & recently I hit a plateau where I was loosing & gaining the same 2 lbs for a month. I had to bump up my calories by 200/day to get the weight loss rolling again. CRAZY!
    Even with the exercise calories you'll still be in enough of a deficit to loose weight.
    Good Luck!
    SW160 3/15/11
    CW 143
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    YES, YES, YES eat your exercise calories!!!! It may not have been those bad choices, but the sodium in those bad choices. Anything processed has tons of sodium which can make you retain water. SOoooo drink lots of water. I have found that really o helps me out. I can't just drink the 64 oz, that doesn't work for me. I have to drink much more than that. So if I can't fully avoid the sodium, I make sure I drink extra water! I also was not consuming enough calories and couldn't lose weight, so I make sure that I get at least my 1200 net minimum.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    YES! Eat your calories. Our bodies are really good at holding on to weight when they aren't getting enough. I too wasn't eating enough when I joined MFP & recently I hit a plateau where I was loosing & gaining the same 2 lbs for a month. I had to bump up my calories by 200/day to get the weight loss rolling again. CRAZY!
    Even with the exercise calories you'll still be in enough of a deficit to loose weight.
    Good Luck!
    SW160 3/15/11
    CW 143

Can I ask how many you are eating now? you're at MY goal weight. :-D