Shin splints!

Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I am sooo upset. I have shin splints! :mad: Since starting MFP I increased my exercise. Before MFP I'd walk often and do other exercises (yoga, tennis, etc) occasionally. I've been working out for the past 2 weeks about 5-6 days a week, most days doing the 30 Day Shred, playing tennis, walking, jogging, etc. I've been noticing my endurance has been getting better and better and overall I feel stronger each and every day which is great! Only problem is that I've developed SHIN SPLINTS! I'm so upset because even in my super active days back in college I never had them before and I would run all the time! I'm so mad at myself because I'm sure going from not doing much exercise to doing A LOT was the cause of it. :grumble:

Only question is, what should I do now? I know I need to lay off the high impact exercises until the pain is gone such as running, 30 Day Shred, etc. But does anyone have any tips for how to make them go away faster? And also exercises I can continue to do to keep my endurance level up? I was thinking going swimming for at least an hour every night would be a good idea... Thoughts?

Also, when my legs are feeling better, how can I make sure this doesn't happen again? Should I be doing high impact exercises like jogging, 30 Day Shred, etc every other day instead of every day?

Replies

• misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    thanks for asking this! i'm looking for an answer as well!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Bump!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    When you get back on track, make sure you warm up some, then stretch your calves really well before exercising. A good pair of shoes will help too.. My running partner gets shin splints if she doesn't stay warmed up for her runs.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    I have them as well, and I am thinking mine are caused because I am not wearing my orthotics. I had custom ones made for me and I usually only wear them in the shoes at work. Now, I am walking more and doing some jogging so now I hurt. I am going to rest, then give my inserts a try.

AND how do you stretch the front calves?
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    I use to have a problem with shin splints too. I went to a special shoe store where they can actually examine how you walk that can determine what kind of shoes you should wear. It turned out I am a pronator and they showed me what kind of shoes I should wear. Haven't had shin splints in months. I believe some New Balance Shoe Stores can do it but you may call to find out. The shoes also may be a little more expensive. I flipped when I saw the price of my most recent pair but the fact that I haven't had shin splints since wearing them has made them completely worth it. Plus these shoes last longer then a lot of other shoes.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    When you're sitting around, spell out the alphabet with your big toe. Keep your knee stationary and just allow all the movement to come from the ankle. Be generous and very controlled with your movements, it will help strengthen up that tibialis anterior.

Are you stretching your IT band? Sometimes a tight IT band can cause irritation that is very similar to shin splints as it will cause your patellar to rub the top of your tibia wrong. This is especially true if you're feeling shoots of pain more toward the top of your shin.

If you find the pain is still present when you're not working out, it could be a stress fracture and all that really fixes that is rest.
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    I had them when I started running last year (and have had them in the past). OUCH! So discouraging! I iced my shins after every run, but I didn't stop running. I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do, but I felt that if I stopped and started again-it would be worse! Eventually, the pain stopped, and I am fine now. Part of the problem is that you are using different muscles, and stressing muscles that aren't strong enough yet (such as the calf muscles). Make sure you have good, supportive shoes, and research a little online to find more specifics about your situation. You can find great treatments and exercises to help, as well as causes. Good luck, and don't give up!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    When you're sitting around, spell out the alphabet with your big toe. Keep your knee stationary and just allow all the movement to come from the ankle. Be generous and very controlled with your movements, it will help strengthen up that tibialis anterior.

Are you stretching your IT band? Sometimes a tight IT band can cause irritation that is very similar to shin splints as it will cause your patellar to rub the top of your tibia wrong. This is especially true if you're feeling shoots of pain more toward the top of your shin.

If you find the pain is still present when you're not working out, it could be a stress fracture and all that really fixes that is rest.

o.k. what it something I can do for the IT band? Mostly my pain is front mid calf.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    O.K. Here's my advice, for what it's worth......same advice I've given clients.

Recovery:

1. You're doing the right things by laying off the jumping for a few days to a couple weeks. Ice of course, and wearing shoes throughout the day.

2. When I ice, I use an ice cube in a paper towel, and rub it over the affected area.

3. Also look into China Gel or some balm. China Gel is my favorite, recommended by my physical therapist.

Alternative exercise:

1. obvious forms of non impact exercise like cycling or swimming, weight lifting etc.

2. you might be fine with lunges, squats and other types of body weight work

3. Some low impact stuff, like walking is fine.

Preventative advice:

1. Don't do too much too soon, and warm up. The more intense your exercise, the long your warm up MUST be. As a trainer I know this, but last week, I went on a long 45 minute walk with a friend, we ended up walking quite briskly by the end of it. I got a quick snack ( a few apple slices) some more water, and then said good-bye to my friend. I then went on my planned run. I thought I might be tired after walking so far, but I flew through a 7.5 mile run (the first time I had run that far since last summer) with no injuries.

Many times, the warm ups in the videos are not appropriate, adequate or proper. A warm up simply means doing some of the exercises you're doing at a slower intensity or pace.

It also sounds to me like you're biting off a lot at one time. You may have the STAMINA for all of it, but you may not be ready for it in your bones, muscles and joints. Start only one new kind of exercise at a time.

Also, one little thing I found helped me a great deal, as well as one of my fellow trainers, (who is half my age) and we are both distance runners.
    There are little balance discs you can purchase. We simply rocked on those about 30 reps a day, and everything seemed to be fine. And of course make sure your shoes are new enough.

I know. I know. There are a lot of people out there who swear by those barefoot running socks or nothing at all. But even they had to build up their mileage and intensities slowly.

Hope this helped.
  • Seajolly
    c2sky - that helped A LOT! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • charmie28
    charmie28 Posts: 1 Member
    There's a great article on the GetFitGuy website.
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-get-rid-of-shin-splints.aspx
    Also -- that advice to draw the alphabet with your toe really works.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member

Look up the "ober" stretch. A lot of so called stretches for IT band are really more for performis. It is very difficult to stretch the IT band on your own. A good physical therapist can give some direction. When you don't have access to assistance as needed in an "ober" stretch, try lying on your side at the edge of your bed. Keep your pelvis nuetral, bottom leg slightly bent, straighten the top log, squeeze glutes and drop the leg behind your bent leg, so it starts to drop the foot below the level of the bed.

Also, one of the causes of IT band syndrome is weak glutes. Meet with a trainer to learn how to get balance in your muscles. A good trainer can look at your overall workout and schedule and find what exercises you may be overdoing or missing.

o.k. what it something I can do for the IT band? Mostly my pain is front mid calf.
  • Seajolly
    There's a great article on the GetFitGuy website.
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-get-rid-of-shin-splints.aspx
    Also -- that advice to draw the alphabet with your toe really works.

That's great! Thanks a bunch!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member

I got a foam roller for the IT band. It hurts like heck, but feels much better when done. Ironically, for me, the IT band was affecting my left hip which caused me to put more stress on my right leg (so my right knee and ankle were hurting, actually burning). Using the foam roller has corrected all of it!

Here's a Youtube Video to show you how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Tips:

-Don't wear running shoes!!! Running shoes are made for forward motion. I have done the shred before and I reccomend a good pair of cross trainers. Also have your gait assessed to see what level of stability you need.

-Your shoes could also be old. After 1 year the foam and rubber starts to dry up and harden so you are no longer getting the support you need. I have worked at The Running Room for years and have seen this alot. I also suffer from shin splints.

-It matters what you wear on your feet when you are not working out too. If you wear bad shoes for your feet 8 hours a day it doesn't matter how awesome the shoes are that you wear when working out.

-I like to stand on a stair or curb and slowly dip my heels down. The stretch is awesome. Downward dog is great too.

Good Luck!!!
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    get fitted in a good pair of running shoes. Had that problem for years. Since I was fitted in the right type of shoes for me, I've not had a problem....Knock on wood....
  • Seajolly
    It's now been 5 days and I still have shin splints. I'm getting discouraged! I've been trying to take it easy, doing stretches, icing my shins, taking an anti-inflamatory pain medicine, doing the alphabet 'tracing' with my toes, etc.

I've been reading online and websites seem to be split. Some say to keep running on your shin splints or they'll just come back when you start running again anyways, and some say you absolutely MUST relax and not do anything that makes them hurt. What should I do? I'm trying to take it easy but I'm getting antsy and I just want them gone! :frown:
  • pikespeakgoat
    pikespeakgoat Posts: 3 Member
    I used to get them really bad. Key word is used to, no longer. I started forefoot striking when I run and alas, no more shin pains. It's really easy for me to revert back to heel striking, but after a few minutes I start hurting and just concentrate on forefoot striking. Another thing I quit doing was stretching before I run, I now stretch after runnung and seems to help as well. These things work well for me, YMMV.
This discussion has been closed.