OVER calories for day: No fear, one foot in front of the other...

Options
hola people,

I dropped in here to make a commitment to myself -- and get some witnesses to it.

I'm new to this. Twenty days in. Lifelong history of weigh gain/loss/gain ... Through a sequence of events, I had an epiphany.

All of the years I've spent obsessing about food, going on and off highly restrictive diets for periods of time, have not led to any success. I'm twenty pounds below my top weight ever, in the mid-300s.

So a couple of things occurred to me at the same time:

A modest weight loss -- say 8 pounds a month or so -- would be a substantial -100 in a year.

Eating for a modest weight loss is VERY doable. None of that white knuckling until it's over.

All of my efforts to loss 100 pounds in a week have failed.

So I've been logging my food and exercise and for 19 days, I've been spot on or slightly under the daily allotment. And it's fun! I actually enjoy it.

But today ... A workshop lunch, and then a dinner out, finished off with my housemate arriving home with a day's worth of cookie baking AND I'M 300 calories OVER.

Long story to say this:

I refuse to punish myself over it.

I will not use this as an excuse to quit.

I AM in this for the long haul and this is A DAY. Perspective.

My commitment is just to carry on. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you! 300 extra calories isn't too bad of an indulgence in the long run. Also, if get a nice walk in today and/or tomorrow you can make up for it deficit wise. Great perspective and I think you are going to nail it this time!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes. Once you let the drama go it all gets infinitely easier! Best wishes to you...
  • Dalia444
    Dalia444 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hi Violet. Good for you. I have been a serial dieter myself either losing or gaining but never maintaining successes for long. This time around I am taking a more sensible approach. I happened upon a group here and on the internet called Eat More 2 Weigh Less- I am now about 30 days into it and eating with a very small deficit -you might want to check it out. Good luck on journey this time around and remember you are not alone!
  • violetbreath
    violetbreath Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. This feels like sanity to me, this non-starving, not crazy restrictive way of eating.

I meditate a lot and it feels like this just came out of a peaceful place. That's very much unlike my past efforts, which generally came out of some sort of crisis.

I was a LOT of calories under yesterday and the day before, so I know it balances out.

Thanks for the website suggestion. I will check it out.

All is well.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had "cheat days" that turned into 5000, 6000, even 8000 calorie binges, but I still hit my goal weight. Our brains are tricky biochemical engines and we make "mistakes" Keep at it :)
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Everything balances out. Many days I am under my caloric goal...I figure this will help me when I am over my calories on another day. Your mission is never to go over calories many days in a row! I would say no more than 2 days in a row. When I know I am going to go over my calories that day, I plan on no snacks, no adult drinks, and I have a lighter supper. And just remember you will get to your goals slower the more you go over calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    300 over goal or over maintenance? If only goal with MFP set to lose 2 pounds per week, you're still in a deficit.
  • violetbreath
    Options
    Brian, yes, 300 over my goal. Still under maintenance.

It's really helpful for me to just say it, that I went over and it's not the end of the world, because something like this would generally throw me completely off track.

My other commitment, to record what I eat NO MATTER WHAT is really important to me. Normally, I'd just quit.

Thanks for the support, everyone. So appreciated.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    300 calories over won't hurt your efforts unless it happens very regularly. It's not much different than eating really healthy for just one day and expecting it to affect your weight gain in the long run. I ate a bunch of chocolate chips I shouldn't have eaten last night and I smacked myself for it and then moved on. It just means we're human. Keep up the good work!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    300 calories isn't even a tenth of a pound. It takes 3500 extra calories to gain one pound. Remembering that helps me a lot on my candy days of Halloween, and thanksgiving dinner and with Christmas candy (I don't eat wheat or gluten so cookies are pretty much out).

Take it slow and steady. You've left the yo-yo road and you're now on the peaceful and rational path to a healthier life.
  • AbbottJames
    AbbottJames Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome attitude! Just keep at it! Nothing happens overnight:)
  • violetbreath
    Options
    Sweet hearts, all of you. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Looby47
    Looby47 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've no advice but you've motivated me....... Best Wishes!
  • cnj27
    cnj27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation........I was over my cals yesterday by 600 and was totally bummed out :( I workout and made myself fell a little less guilty. Don't beat yourself up..... Keep up the great work!