Strength training at home. Any ideas?

Options
I need to add strength training to my routine. Currently I only do bicep curls, triceps. But I need to do more, I don't want to bulk up, mind you I'm on journey to lose "fat".

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    "Bulking up" isn't going to be an issue. I lost close to 50 pounds and had managed to squeeze myself into a size 10. Then I had a baby, gained it back and had to start over. Now (about 11 years later and with 44 year old metabolism) I am still about 20 pounds heavier than I was when I was in those size 10's all those years ago. However, because I lift (barbell squats, deadlifts, bench press etc; all as heavy as I can manage) I am in those size 10's even though I'm still 20 pounds heavier. I'm working on fat loss of course but don't be afraid of lifting.

That said, what kind of equipment do you have or are you willing to get? Because that will really determine what you can do at home. I have a power cage in my garage with a couple of barbells and various dumbbells. If you've only got space for some dumbbells or kettle bells you'll need to tailor your workout to the equipment you have. I know there are a variety of body weight routines out there. Bret Contreras' book Strong Curves has body weight as well as weighted routines. I checked it out from my library before I bought it.
  • justsusie998
    justsusie998 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will look for that book. And, yes, currently I only have dumbbells. :neutral:
  • justsusie998
    Options
    Nice tattoo btw.
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You can do dumbbell squats, Dumbbell walking lunges, dumbbell seated rows, dumbbell overhead press, dumbbell bench press or flies. There is a lot you can do with Dumbbells.
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    get a kettlebell for all body workout
  • justsusie998
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will definitely look into all of that.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    jennitm wrote: »
    Fitnessblender.com has great workouts ranging in difficulty. Use the sight all the time. Check it out.

A good site with a large variety of workout routines, both with and without equipment.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much work any body part with dumbbells.
  • EpiGeek40
    EpiGeek40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing more strength work myself and picked up a set of Cathe Friedrich DVDs (get ripped with HIIT). I have started out with just a standard set of dumb bells (3 lbs through 15 lbs) though Cathe herself goes way heavy so I have room to add to my equipment as I get stronger. I'll probably be getting a basic barbell soon as some of her workouts use that. It's all in my smallish family room and so far so good!

Over this past summer/fall I did Jillian Michaels 3-month Body Revolution (2 rounds of it) and saw major gains in strength (and down 10lbs)...but it's not a workout I want to keep doing over and over. The Cathe series seems amazing so far and much more variation and ability to customize workouts over the long term.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like the PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells. My set goes from 2.5# to 50#s. Easily adjustable, compact and considering the number of dumbbells it replaces, not too expensive. They also make a lighter set and have add ons to take the set up to 70#. and another to 90#s.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are great but you can get a great workout with just bodyweight, especially for women that aren't looking to get jacked. For bulking, you need progressively heavier weights to overstress the muscle fibers. This is tough for guys to do on a caloric deficit, almost impossible for women (although you do have your genetic outliers). Look up bodyweight full body exercise routines.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I found the home routine for dumbbells on this site-http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell-workout-and-exercise-routines.html I am starting this in the NY. Supplement to indoor rowing.
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a book called "Body By You" by Mark Lauren. It is all body weight exercises but tailored toward women. What is great about the book is that each exercise category has 25 different exercise starting from easy to extremely challenging and you step up gradually. For example for push ups you start by doing them against a wall. Then you do them against a wall but with 2 second pauses at bottom of the movement, then you do them on the edge of a table, then on a chair, then eventually on the floor. Anyway you get the idea. You need minimal equipment to do it and the sets he lays out only take half an hour three days a week. Which is awesome!!
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and have the book knittnponder recommended Strong Curves..It is very good
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I got a weight routine from Burn The Fat Feed the Muscle. Great book with info on weight training, fitness in general and has workouts. From there I was able to get a full body weight workout that I do at home. I use free weights and my barbell from my Body Pump DVDs

I've also done Supreme 90 day which uses free weights and body weight. Loved the program and it focuses on both strength and cardio.

• Vixyb_
    Vixyb_ Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands?? I'm going to give them a try x
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't make women bulky, we don't have the testosterone levels and even if you do have higher than average bulking takes a huge amount of effort and time and nutritional focus

Do not avoid weights out of some misplaced idea of bulking, weight training is more likely to make you lean and tight

• FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Vixyb_ wrote: »
    Resistance bands?? I'm going to give them a try x

Resistance bands are one of my favorite at home tools to use. I don't usually use them in the gym so much but have a bunch for home use. Definitely worth a try.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't know what equipment you have or don't have so here's a few suggestions:

If you have DBs or a barbell -
    Stronglifts or ICF 5x5
    Strong Curves (also has a bodyweight program available)
    Starting Strength
    NROLFW
    AllPros

Bodyweight Only (or mostly) -
    Nerdfitness
    Darebee Programs
    Convict Conditioning
    You Are Your Own Gy