Waffles- Healthy ways to make them

Options
I recently got a wafflemaker and a recipe from the dash cookbook. Waffles made from corn flour and wheat flour. Any other healthy ideas?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Waffles made with white flour, eggs and oil are hard to beat?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Barring maliciously poisoning you waffles, I doubt you could make a waffle that would make you unhealthy when consumed within the confines of a balanced dietary intake.

Foods aren't unhealthy in isolation when dosage and context are taken in to account.
  • oceansfar7
    oceansfar7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lol. Thanks. :)
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My mom makes her waffles with whole grain flour blend (millet, sorghum, buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa), ground flax, no sugar, and just enough oil that it doesn't stick to the waffle iron. Plus the normal egg / milk / leavening. We eat them with almond butter and sometimes fruit. Makes for a nice hearty breakfast, but is not at all the same thing as fluffy white flour waffle drowned in butter and syrup.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I use a variation of the recipe on this site:

http://minimalistbaker.com/7-ingredient-vegan-gluten-free-waffles/

It's vegan, decent, quick, and versatile.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I manage just find with a spoon or a whisk, but I guess you could try an electric mixer.

:smiley:
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I eat a waffle at least once a week. Portion control, moderation and not consuming more calories than you burn works with all foods.

Eat what you like. For me, it is a lot easier to know I can eat what I enjoy and to maintain this way of eating. I have lost over 160# and been on maintenance for a little over 2 years now. It's working for me so far.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention this. I've been obsessed with making the perfect, low-calorie waffle for awhile now. Here's a couple of simple recipes using Bisquick, and Carbquick:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/234639992843645
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/234640160591229

Always use the lowest-calorie milk options where possible. Nonfat milk and soymilk can work. Skip the egg yolks, egg whites work fine.

In terms of scratch recipes, I haven't experimented quite as much but I'm eager to get some oat bran, wheat germ, flax meal, and perhaps some carbalose flour and see what I can do there. I've occasionally added in a bit of whey protein to sub for some of the flour, making for a more high-protein waffle.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I manage just find with a spoon or a whisk, but I guess you could try an electric mixer.

:smiley:

Thanks! Novel thought of using a whisk, you know building arm muscles B)
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Always use a whisk! If you use an electric mixer, you risk overmixing the batter.
  • oceansfar7
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    My mom makes her waffles with whole grain flour blend (millet, sorghum, buckwheat, amaranth and quinoa), ground flax, no sugar, and just enough oil that it doesn't stick to the waffle iron. Plus the normal egg / milk / leavening. We eat them with almond butter and sometimes fruit. Makes for a nice hearty breakfast, but is not at all the same thing as fluffy white flour waffle drowned in butter and syrup.

• oceansfar7
    Options
    Sounds amazing..packed with protein as well. I'll need to try this.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've added butternut squash and mashed sweet potatoes to the waffle blend. It's a great way to use up those leftovers and they taste awesome.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    So, Dash diet. Seems to be recommended a lot when you get diagnosed with a number of medical issues. Are you following it because of that - because if so, best to let people know what you need to avoid and why or you won't get useful responses.

If you're following it just because you feel like it, I'd have to agree with everyone else. Buttermilk waffles are the best. Now, I do like them made with a mixture of coarse cornmeal and regular AP flour. Pure cornmeal, though I love the texture, makes for a leaden waffle.

One thing I have not tried, but may be worth the effort, is using cornmeal to substitute for flour in one of the Belgian waffle recipes that has you fold in whipped egg whites for lightness. That might work well.
  • oceansfar7
    Options
    Cipherzero..mashed potatoe blend..omg..now we r talking..lol. I love potatoes.
  • oceansfar7
    Options
    Stealthq..not really diagnosed per say..just Cutin back on the sodium. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • allyphoe
    Options
    oceansfar7 wrote: »
    Sounds amazing..packed with protein as well. I'll need to try this.

6.4g of protein, 2.9g of fiber, and 147 calories per waffle, 4 waffles per batch. I don't have the recipe handy, but could get it if you're interested.
  • oceansfar7
    Options
    Allyphoe..yes.that would be very nice to get the recipe. Thank u..
  • allyphoe
    Options
    Flour mix: equal parts by volume buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, millet, and sorghum flours. This mix has to be kept frozen or refrigerated, because millet goes rancid really fast. Mom buys whole grains and grinds her millet fresh because pre-ground millet is often bad even if the best by date is way off.

1/2 C flour mix
    2 Tbl ground flax
    2/3 C milk
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Beat together until lump-free (no gluten, so you can beat it as much as you want without affecting quality), then stir in
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    Pour into the waffle iron and cook until done. Mom says her current waffle iron takes 9 minutes, but the previous one only took 5. She also says that if you mix the olive oil in earlier in the process, it sticks to the pan.

Makes 4 waffles in the waffle iron we use.