what percentage should my protein and carbs be ??

Options
I eat around 1700 cals a day... what is the correct percentage of protein carbs and fat should I be consuming per day?

Replies

• Nina_Ekoko
    Nina_Ekoko Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body: I googled it for myself and I found an article that helps you determine that. Of course I could be totally wrong but that's how I determined that for myself. :) anyone else know the factual answer??
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1700 cals a day... what is the correct percentage of protein carbs and fat should I be consuming per day?

What's your goal?
    Do you have a food scale?

• Havasufalls
    Havasufalls Posts: 53 Member
    Options

What's your goal?
    Do you have a food scale?

[/quote]

I do have a food scale and I use it all the time.. my goal is to drop 96 pounds by August 1st of 2016
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It really all just comes down to maintaining a calorie deficit over time. Burn more calories than you consume, and you'll lose fat consistently. It's not quite that simple though, as you also need to pay attention to your cutting/fat loss macros as well to ensure that the maximum percentage of your weight loss is coming from fat with a minimum amount coming from muscle.

There is no such thing as one absolute best fat loss macronutrient ratio that will work ideally for everyone, since many individual factors come into play. That said, we can still outline some good starting macros for fat loss that will work well for most average people.

First you'll need your total daily calorie intake. You can use this formula to calculate this:

First calculate resting metabolic rate...

Women: 655 + (9.6 X bodyweight in kg) + (1.8 X height in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Now take that number and multiply it by your activity level…

Sedentary = 1.2
    Lightly Active = 1.375
    Moderately Active = 1.55
    Very Active = 1.725
    Extremely Active = 1.9

You now have your total daily calories and can break this up into your specific cutting/fat loss macros using these figures...

Protein: Consume 1 gram per pound of body weight daily. (Proteins contain 4 calories per gram)

Fats: Consume 20% of your total daily calories from fats. (Fats contain 9 calories per gram)

Carbohydrates: This should be comprised of whatever calories are left over after protein and fat has been calculated. (Carbs contain 4 calories per gram)

You definitely don't need to hit these fat loss macros spot on, but just try to come reasonably close and you'll do fine. In terms of a basic starting point for the average female, these are the best cutting macros for weight loss that I know of.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keep carbs below 10%, Protein about 20%, and Healthy fats about 70%. (Coconut Oil, Macadamia nut oil, KerryGold Butter).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Read the first post in this thread: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Ones that meet recommended minimums.

Other than that it's down to goals, preference and adherence.