Can I eat whatever I want and lose weight?

Options
If I don't go over my calorie goal, will I still be able to lose weight? Meaning, can I eat candy or junk food and go out to eat regularly (junk food once a day... going out to eat two times a week) but still lose and maintain weight?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It may not be very healthy eating candy and no veggies but yes. It's all about the calories.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely.

Agreed you want to moderate junk food for health reasons - for weight loss it's all the same.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You sure can, just monitor and don't go over.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Yes if it's just weight loss you're concerned about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Sure you can! But you'll probably find it a little challenging hunger-wise.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yup. But if you don't eat fruits or vegetables you might get scurvy or something.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Yup. But if you don't eat fruits or vegetables you might get scurvy or something.

Skittles will keep that scurvy away!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you'll likely feel better when you eat better. For weight loss, it's all the same.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    But once you get good at this you'll see that wholesome food is like an investment in your body's stock portfolio while skittles & donuts are about as effective as Monopoly money at building & maintaining healthy tissue!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Essentially. But I'm going to qualify that. If over half my calories come from carbs I don't lose no matter what my calories. And if it's much more than that I can ever gain despite a deficit.

So some candy and treats - sure, I have ice cream and chocolate almost every day. But that's not where most of my calories come from.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, CICO for straight weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Essentially. But I'm going to qualify that. If over half my calories come from carbs I don't lose no matter what my calories. And if it's much more than that I can ever gain despite a deficit.

So some candy and treats - sure, I have ice cream and chocolate almost every day. But that's not where most of my calories come from.

so you are saying if you get 50% of your calories from carbs you do not lose weight even if you are in calorie deficit?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Yes.
    But once you get good at this you'll see that wholesome food is like an investment in your body's stock portfolio while skittles & donuts are about as effective as Monopoly money at building & maintaining healthy tissue!

I disagree your assessment of what "getting good at this" means.

I don't save EVERY penny I earn toward investing in a stock portfolio. Sometimes I spend money on things that are just fun.

Likewise, I don't use EVERY calorie on maxing out nutrient density. Sometimes (the emphasis on Sometimes) I spend my calories on things that are fun.

Balancing your 'investing' with your 'fun' while meeting your overall goals is, to me, what 'getting good at this' REALLY is.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I don't save EVERY penny I earn toward investing in a stock portfolio. Sometimes I spend money on things that are just fun.

Likewise, I don't use EVERY calorie on maxing out nutrient density. Sometimes (the emphasis on Sometimes) I spend my calories on things that are fun.

Balancing your 'investing' with your 'fun' while meeting your overall goals is, to me, what 'getting good at this' REALLY is.

SO MUCH THIS! ^^^
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yep! I lost 20lbs and have maintained since, and throughout I've had pizza every Wednesday night, and two good quality chocolates from a box with my cup of coffee every evening. :smile:

As others have said though, if you only eat junk food then you'll be famished, as you get so little food for your calories. If you're going to work in daily or weekly treats, you'll end up wanting to use the rest of your allowance healthily to keep your energy up and constant.
  • nxd10
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so you are saying if you get 50% of your calories from carbs you do not lose weight even if you are in calorie deficit?

Yes. I plateaued when I was on a deficit if my carbs were too high. Even if I was in a quite deep deficit - 700 calories/day for example. But if I was under 50% of my calories from carbs - especially under 40% - the weight would fall off at the same calorie level.

That's not low carb at all. It's just higher protein and fat. I think (for me) it has to do with insulin spikes. If my carbs get too high it is indicative that I'm eating too many easily digested carbs - pasta, potatoes, etc. All good food, but not something I want to be getting most of my calories from.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Yes.

SO MUCH THIS! ^^^

YES! Eating should be ENJOYABLE. One of the nice benefits of MFP is I try hard to make sure everything I eat is something that tastes good. More mindful and fun eating.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As others have said, calories are calories, and junk food is likely to leave you hungry during the day.
    It also makes it harder to eat enough protein and nutrients to stay healthy.

So yes -- possible. But for most people not a successful strategy unless you are *very* active.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes. I plateaued when I was on a deficit if my carbs were too high. Even if I was in a quite deep deficit - 700 calories/day for example.
    How long did you carry out the experiment for, and how accurate do you think you were with food and exercise logging ?