Not Losing, Only Gaining!

Options
Since I started this program in March, I have done nothing but gain weight :( At first, I was only recording calories during the week and being lenient on weekends. When I noticed that I wasn't losing any weight (about a month in), I started to count calories on weekends too. I still wasn't losing, so a little over a month ago, I purchased an elliptical machine and have now been using that 3-5 times a week along with my calorie counting. Since I started the program though, I have gained 5 pounds. I'm not lifting weights or doing any kind of strength training, so I don't really feel like its 5 pounds of muscle. I don't feel like my clothes fit better. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any advice?

Replies

• jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    Hmmm, well I'm certainly no expert, but are you drinking enough water ? eating burned calories back? watching sodium (which will make you retain water) activity level set correctly, too low might make you not get enough calories? are you measuring food to make sure you are getting correct servings? are you measuring your body to track changes there (can really help keep your head in the game when the #'s aren't moving on the scale) ? just some ideas to think about!
  • mwallace13
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I am definitely drinking at least 8 glasses a day of water, and I am very diligent about food portions and counts. I will start monitoring sodium and taking measurements, that will hopefully help. I appreciate the advice!
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Make your food diary public and in about a week ask that again.

In all seriousness. Someone may pick up on something you don't! Never hurts to have another couple sets of eyes!!
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    Hope it helps! You need to figure out how YOUR body ticks and work with that, especially when you have tried and failed in the past. You have to outsmart yourself, LOL. Sodium can be a stinker for some people. For me I need to drink over 64oz everyday especially when its on the warmer side!
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, well first thing I'd see is go to a different calorie site to see how many calories you need to eat daily. I'd see if that number matches up with what MFP says you need to eat in order to loose x amount of pounds a week. It also sometimes is harder to loose if you're already at a good weight & don't have much to loose. Just keep doing what you're doing, I'm sure you will see some changes soon =) Good luck!! Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    So you started gaining weight once you started eating healthy and exercising? :huh:

I would see my doctor first. It's always my solution when my body does peculiar things.....:wink:
  • mwallace13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!