Mosquito allergies?

Options
I am beginning to suspect I have developed an allergy to mosquito bites. I get these huge red whelps that last for at least a week. I currently have two bites that are over a week old. Anyone have any suggestions to help when I get bitten? I just took benedryl to counteract the current batch and am hoping it helps. I hate the way it makes me feel though. Any suggestions?

Replies

• heidikins7
    heidikins7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have a mosquito allergy, and unfortunately, nothing I do helps it. I've tried it all from Benadryl to wearing long layers (even in the summer). It's hopeless. I wish I could suggest something to you.
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutly sure they are mosquito bites? Spider bites leave big red welts and itch for weeks too.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutly sure they are mosquito bites? Spider bites leave big red welts and itch for weeks too.

EEK Emily! I haven't thought of that. I'm going to go tear my bed apart right now, because it seems I wake up with them in the morning. I live in the country so mosquitos slip in...never thought of spiders!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Spider bites are usually more oval shaped.
  • kristybahner
    kristybahner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My son is allergic to mosquito bites as well. His will swell and get a little oozy. I have found that hydrocortisone cream helps a little bit and seems to make them go away a little quicker. We also try to use OFF as much as posible when he is outside in the summer.
  • Shaysuki926
    Shaysuki926 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My son is allergic as well as my husband and recently he started taking allegra and it has helped with the large welts. It's just a bite now
  • Cindio
    Cindio Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Benadryl cream works the best!!! It takes down the swelling and reduces itch. I'm very allergic and it is the only thing that works for me. The actual medicine doesn't even work nearly as well as the cream.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Mosquito bites swell to the diameter of a softball on me! They feel hot and itchy. A couple times I've even been bitten on my eyelid, and had my eye swell closed for a full week. I'm sooooo allergic!

I spend a lot of time outdoors, hiking and camping. So my first line of defense is prevention. I know that DEET frightens some people, but it's the only thing that I've found that works to keep both mosquitoes and ticks off of me. If I do get a bite, I use cortaid to stave off the itch.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    in my experience (I am a dermatology RN) is to use either over-the-counter hydrocortisone three times daily after bites, or go to your dermatologist and tell them about the allergy and they can give you something stronger to apply to focal bites. My other suggestion is to take a Claritin or Zyrtec EVERYDAY during the summer to help combat physical allergies (such as insect bites) OR if you know you will be outside in a "buggy" area, take a Claritin 48 hrs before and 48hrs after to help a possible reaction!! Feel free to message me if you have any questions! Hope this helps
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    After looking up pictures of mosquito and spider bites...I'm inclined to believe its mosquitos. I match the pictures. I am still going to tear my bed apart though!
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    Essential oil of lavender... it's the answer to all things skin related. My son gets water blisters when he gets bitten by mosquitos. Put it on asap. It's certainly not a miracle but works wonders.