What the heck is Quanoa (sp?) and how would I cook with it??

Options
Um, yeah, my question is actually in the subject heading. Where would I get it? How do i cook it etc...

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    LOL - I just posted a Quinoa recipe!!

Quinoa is a grain, kind of a cross between rice and couscous. You can buy it at the grocery store. The great thing about Q is that it's high in protein and iron.

You cook it like rice, really - 1 c uncooked Q with 2 c water (I actually use lowfat chicken broth).

Some people say it's better rinsed before you cook; I haven't had to do that.
  • Tammysueless
    Tammysueless Posts: 166
    Options
    It's with the rice and you can use it like rice or kinda like couscous. It's got a slight nutty flavor.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    This is a great article about Quinoa and some excellent recipes! It is a high protein grain.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/quinoa/index.html
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So, it's healthier than rice or couscous? More like a brown rice type of thing? I might need to try this!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's fun to cook with it because it's very versatile. I don't know enough about whether it's healthier than one or the other, but I sure do like it a lot! :)
  • BexTom
    BexTom Posts: 1
    Options
    Quinoa is an ancient grain....like Mayan culture ancient. Picture high altitude, wind blown fields with scraggly clumps of dried up looking grass and that is Quinoa. Be prepared to be freaked out when you first cook it because the "tails" that slide out of the little hulls look like a worm. It smells like dirt while it's cooking and even after butter, salt, soysauce, ketchup and a glob of dijon, you can still taste the dirt while you're eating it. Sorry....my lack of support for this food is showing. BUT, on the positive side it is high in protein. Myself, I'd rather down a protein shake than pucker up to some Quinoa:laugh:
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is an ancient grain....like Mayan culture ancient. Picture high altitude, wind blown fields with scraggly clumps of dried up looking grass and that is Quinoa. Be prepared to be freaked out when you first cook it because the "tails" that slide out of the little hulls look like a worm. It smells like dirt while it's cooking and even after butter, salt, soysauce, ketchup and a glob of dijon, you can still taste the dirt while you're eating it. Sorry....my lack of support for this food is showing. BUT, on the positive side it is high in protein. Myself, I'd rather down a protein shake than pucker up to some Quinoa:laugh:

I thought I might try it but now I think not. Lol.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Where are you buying yours from.? Mine never smells like dirt. or has worm like things sliding out. it looks pretty much like cous cous and doesn't smell much different than rice cooking. I eat it savory in place of rice or as a breakfast cereal with almond milk and dried cranberries.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is actually a seed..., classified as a grain like seed (whatever the heck that means....). It is similar in texture to rice IMO, I always toast mine before using it. Take a box, throw it in a dry pan and move it around over medium heat until it smells nice and toasty. Its one of the few "grains" that is complete source of protein, and its very filling. Never used it in place of breakfast even though that sounds tempting...usually make a cold salad out of it. Here is my favorite.

http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-greek-salad-97764

Try it, made it a whole mess of times and never had mine smell or taste like dirt, maybe BexTom got a box that missed the rinsing stage at the farm:tongue: