Any other PCOS sufferers trying to lose weight?

Options
Hello!

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome a couple years ago. After trying a few different combination of meds, I can't seem to control the symptoms. Sometimes these symptoms take over my life!

I am at my heaviest (last time I weighed myself I was 210 lbs!). I also have high blood pressure, and doctors just say "lose weight" like it's an easy thing to do. It is so easy to gain weight with PCOS and so hard to lose it. However, it is not impossible and I know I CAN do it, but would be great to get some motivation from fellow "cysters"! I feel weight is the main thing for me, because if I lose it the rest will follow (lower BP, less symptoms, etc).

You don't have to have PCOS to add me - I would be happy to have anyone become a friend as the more motivation the better! I tried this MFP before but never utilised the community bit but I think this will be the key to staying on track. After an injury over the weekend, I am determined to get back on track with the exercise and diet!

Replies

• Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. This is a great place for support.
  • tlc8695
    tlc8695 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just turned "50" this month and so depress with my weight of 160 lbs. I have never been this heavy, I find my self buying size 8-10 of pants and 12 on dresses.. I hide the size from my husband but, I am trying to do my best to eat right and exercise. I just received a UP 2 to track my movement and it supposedly has a life coach. I connected this app in hopes that every little bit will help. I don't sleep, I work sitting and try to get up as much as possible. I try to prep breakfast and lunch during the week, this way I won't eat the wrong things during the week.

As BriKH23 stated above, I as well am determine to stay on track and exercise and diet.

Have a great day...
  • dlone01
    dlone01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 3 years ago and just this past month I went for a yearly check up on the PCOS and my doctor gave me some troubling news. She said I have tested positive for diabetes and possible cancer. The pcos is causing several issues and of course because of all this our goals for another child have been stopped. I need to loose the weight now and would love for some support from fellow or non fellow cysters. Thanks so much and God Bless.
  • StormyNights81
    StormyNights81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PCOS here since I was 19 I'm now 34. I just had my son in August and gained another 50 with the pregnancy. I also have hypothyroid. I just saw the dietitian today at the Doc office. So here is where I start my journey the end may result in gastric band surgery who knows. I'm giving myself a year.
  • SpyderAradia86
    SpyderAradia86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have PCOS and trying to conceive. I have had a lot of doctors tell me if you have PCOS its harder to lose weight compared to people who don't. I'm trying different techniques and combining the ones that work and throwing out the ones that don't.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, four years ago. I first started on MFP at 18-almost-19. Surprisingly, it wasn't hard to lose the weight. It's probably taken longer because of my PCOS but not by much. I've lost 69lbs with only 2lbs to go. I actually started almost exactly where you are, OP, at 211lbs! Some women with PCOS are insulin resistant and might do better on low-carb diets so it might be good to find out if you are insulin resistant. I didn't lower my carbs though and I've done just fine. I ate what I wanted in moderation. I didn't deny myself chocolate or crisps, I just allowed myself a small bar or one little packet so I didn't feel deprived and end up overeating on that stuff.
    ETA- Since I lost the weight I no longer have any PCOS symptoms. My hormones have regulated as has my period.
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I aim for a higher fat, moderate carb, moderate protein diet. I suppose it's very close to the Mediterranean diet that research suggests is best for PCOS; low glycemic and whatnot. Unfortunately, If I ate the default macros recomended by MFP, I'd gain. Fortunately, when I keep my carbs around 75-100g per day, I can lose at the rate I select; which is one pound a week atm. I feel good, not deprived, not hungry, so I'm sticking with it. I empathize greatly with the symptoms and hirsuitism is an especially strong motivator for my weight loss... Vanity for the win! ;)
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS since I was 16 (and I'm 23 now) Luckily, constant birth control has helped me kind of control my symptoms, but I still find it SUPER hard to lose weight. When I was 18 I managed to lose 30 pounds in a really unhealthy way, and now I've gained back that plus another 30 :s I'm right around 210 now (actually I'm afraid to weigh myself so I'm just guessing) and I'm trying to really get back into some good habits and finally lose this weight in a healthy way.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I struggled to conceive my first child, had an appointment to start IVF on a Wednesday, took a pregnancy test 2 days earlier, and boom I was pregnant. I gained 23lbs with him. I lost 10% of my body weight using MFP (Having tried every other diet) and got pregnant spontaneously.... I have found that I need to restrict calories more then other people, but if I am careful, the weight does come off. I don't restrict carbs, or any food group, but I do weigh my food obsessively and exercise as much as I can (I have arthritis as well...)
    In addition, my husband is a research scientist in.... PCOS, obesity and fertility! His lab's take on the whole weight loss thing is that someone with PCOS has to calculate an extra 250 calories into their diet, even though they didnt eat it, its like having eaten an extra KitKat (Due to the way the body breaks down food...)
    So, we would need to reduce calories by an additional 250 in order to be on par with someone else dieting of the same weight.
    Does that make sense??
  • nilajahsims
    nilajahsims Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have PCOS and have been diagnosed with it since 2000. For the last 5 years, I have struggled to maintain a healthy weight. I am currently 250 lbs and my doctor told me that I have to lose 15 lbs to complete my FET. (Last year, I conceived my first pregnancy through IVF and the pregnancy lasted for 5 months and 3 weeks. My baby was born severely premature and only loved for 2 days). I have met with a nutritionist on yesterday and am excited to begin this new journey--developing a new relationship with food.

Nice to meet all of you!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I had PCOS. It is a lot harder and you do have to keep changing medicine until you find the match but losing weight is so important with PCOS, its really the only cure. Try taking small steps and then bigger ones : ) Believe in yourself and you are halfway there.
  • Hesterquality
    Hesterquality Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey my name is Edjaina and i am 17 years old i was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 16. The heaviest i have gotten is 244.8. I just lost 5 pounds since the 8th of december. Im starting to see inches coming off me. I don't want to be this big for prom in april. So i just had to buckle down and get to working out.
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and high BP. Kind of been a struggle this past year or so due to a chronic back problem and multiple miscarriages, the emotional eating has gotten the better of me. Trying to get back on track so we can hopefully start fertility treatments in January. I would love some support from other cysters. :smiley:
  • kaci373
    kaci373 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is kaci and i am 23 years old. I have PCOS and its a struggle everyday trying to lose weight. I am currently 246.8 pounds and i dont like it. I had my first child last year with the help of clomid! But after having him even with light exercise and some eating changes my weight is just increasing. I seen my doctor and she told me that i need to lose the weight to get better. I agree. So i know i have to make some big changes! I hope all you ladies reach your goals!
  • kplace0890
    kplace0890 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Kayla, I'm 25, and while I haven't yet had an actual diagnosis of PCOS, my doctor and I suspect it may be what is going on with me. I am insulin resistant and very very close to being diabetic. So losing weight is not just a goal for me anymore, it is a priority, but it's always been very hard for me to lose it. I am 5'7" and was at my heaviest earlier this month (413 lbs.) and since have already lost 5 lbs, which is a huge thing for me even if it seems like a small number. I would love to help support other people on this journey and get support from them as well.

I wish you all the best in reaching your goals and feel free to add me if you'd like! <3