Building Strength From Nothing?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I've seen weight lifting programs floating around on here, but I don't really have the ability to begin one of those just yet. I'm very weak. I've been doing physio to increase glute strength because the weakness of my glutes was impacting my knees. It's made me aware of how weak I am just in general. Now my knee problems are mostly cleared up, I'm getting back into walking and swimming for exercise. But I also want to increase overall strength. I'm not exactly sure where to begin. Things like squat challenges are too intense for me.

I have access to a gym, but I'm not comfortable going into the weights room (it's separate from the regular area, down a dark creepy hallway). You can sign out dumbells in the regular area to use, and there are some weight machines there. I'd also like to know bodyweight exercises, but I'm terribly frightened of doing them wrong - it turned out I was doing squats completely wrong and in a way that was hurting my knees very badly.

Any resources you can pass along would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would suggest meeting with a trainer. It is possible for people to learn on their own but it sounds like you may have some special circumstances that would make a few sessions with a trainer useful to you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Yeah, considering your issues, you should probably get a customized program from a sports physical therapist, or a really good personal trainer (google "finding a good personal trainer"). :+1:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, and I also think yoga classes might be a very good way to build up your base level of strength. Make sure to do it in a class at first so that you can know if you have any form issues. Try for a minimum of twice a week since you'll be looking for strength gains (3 or 4 is much better ;) ).
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not sure if I can afford to hire a personal trainer, I'd have to look into it. But we do have yoga! :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Start with a bodyweight class (yoga, pilates, trx) or with a class that includes weights. It will help you both in increasing strength and in learning correct form.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Buy a copy of Rippetoe 'Starting Strength' and look up some of the free, entertaining 'how to' Thrall youtubes on the internet.
    I have weights and a bench at home, got them inexpensively second hand, and that allows me to work at my own pace. Like you, I started off very weak but am slowly picking up strength.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested.. I don't have knee problems, but I have absolutely no upper body strength - I find it very difficult to do push-ups or plank exercises, as the difficulty is in holding myself up.

Does any one have any tips/simple exercises for gaining a bit of arm/upper body strength at home?
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I'm also interested.. I don't have knee problems, but I have absolutely no upper body strength - I find it very difficult to do push-ups or plank exercises, as the difficulty is in holding myself up.

Does any one have any tips/simple exercises for gaining a bit of arm/upper body strength at home?

You want push-up progressions, it sounds like. Try doing wall push-ups first - just lean forward with your hands on the wall and push yourself back until your arms are straight. When that gets easy, move to push-ups with your hands on the back of the couch, and just work your way down.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

I'd also get a yoga DVD that had a lot of moves holding yourself with your arms, so lots of down dogs, table, dolphin, etc. A lot of the ones for shoulders or back include many moves like that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I 2nd @rabbitjb's suggestion.
    I started with that - couldn't do anything, I had never worked out in my life.

Squats, lowered to a kitchen chair then up again before touching it. Progress to foot stool.

Push-ups, against the wall. Progress kitchen counter, then chair seat.

Lunges, holding the back of a chair for balance while going as low as I could.

Dumbbell rows, start light and build.

Planks, just hold for as long as you can, try a couple of secs longer next time.

Jumping jacks, march in place doing the arm movement.

Just try to complete 1 set. Work up to 3.

It is amazing how quickly you can progress if you do it 3 alternating days a week.

Cheers, h.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@rabbitjb I've definitely bookmarked that page, thank you for passing it on!

@middlehaitch I can do most of those things, so I could start that 3x a week :smiley: The only thing is I don't have dumbbells. Do you think that's important?
  • kiela64
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Buy a copy of Rippetoe 'Starting Strength' and look up some of the free, entertaining 'how to' Thrall youtubes on the internet.
    I have weights and a bench at home, got them inexpensively second hand, and that allows me to work at my own pace. Like you, I started off very weak but am slowly picking up strength.

Thanks! I don't have room for a bench and barbells at home, and to be honest I don't think I'm there yet. All that equiptment is very intimidating, but hopefully once I'm a bit more well versed in these things I'll get there :)
  • kiela64
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

You want push-up progressions, it sounds like. Try doing wall push-ups first - just lean forward with your hands on the wall and push yourself back until your arms are straight. When that gets easy, move to push-ups with your hands on the back of the couch, and just work your way down.

This is good to know! I will try this! I can't do a push up at the moment, but I can do some of the ones with knees bent. This sounds like it might be better than that, or good as well!
  • kiela64
    Options
    Hey, after looking through the suggestions here, I'm wondering if dumbbells are essential/important? I don't have any, so I'd need to look into getting some. But if they're important, they're something I have room for.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They're only important if your program calls for them. They are certainly not a prerequisite for strength training. Many people start with them because they can be lighter than a barbell but they are not a must.

Have you picked a program? If you're into bodyweight training, one of the Strong Curves programs is bodyweight only. If you google "strong curves pdf " you'll find where the author (Bret Contreras) has posted the programs.
  • kiela64
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    They're only important if your program calls for them. They are certainly not a prerequisite for strength training. Many people start with them because they can be lighter than a barbell but they are not a must.

Have you picked a program? If you're into bodyweight training, one of the Strong Curves programs is bodyweight only. If you google "strong curves pdf " you'll find where the author (Bret Contreras) has posted the programs.

okay thanks! No I hadn't looked into a specific program, I assumed I'd need to be a bit stronger before attempting anything like that. But I'll look into it :)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

okay thanks! No I hadn't looked into a specific program, I assumed I'd need to be a bit stronger before attempting anything like that. But I'll look into it :)

Honestly, the only way to get stronger is by starting. You'll be surprised how fast you are getting stronger once you are on a program and doing it regularly.
    From your posts it does sound like bodyweight will be a good starting place. Both the link from rabbitbj as well as Strong curves are great suggestions. For bodyweight dumbells aren't really a requirement. Benefit of a book like strong curves is the explenation of different exercises. Also just watch movies on youtube :)

Depending on your goal you might need to make the transition to the weight room at some point. I know it feels intimidating, it was a big step for me too. But really, the feeling being able to pick up heavier weights each week will totally help you overcome the initial fear.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    Hey, after looking through the suggestions here, I'm wondering if dumbbells are essential/important? I don't have any, so I'd need to look into getting some. But if they're important, they're something I have room for.

If you need light ones at first, don't waste money on them. Use easy-to-hold bottles filled with water. OJ bottles work nicely, or quarts of milk, eventually gallons, etc. Fill with water until they feel hard enough, and then weigh yourself with them on the scale. Step off the scale, weigh yourself without them, and subtract to get their weight (so you can progress the weight as you go).

Just make sure you can hold them comfortably. The shape kinda matters, so try different kinds.
  • kiela64
    Options

If you need light ones at first, don't waste money on them. Use easy-to-hold bottles filled with water. OJ bottles work nicely, or quarts of milk, eventually gallons, etc. Fill with water until they feel hard enough, and then weigh yourself with them on the scale. Step off the scale, weigh yourself without them, and subtract to get their weight (so you can progress the weight as you go).

Just make sure you can hold them comfortably. The shape kinda matters, so try different kinds.

Thanks!

I tried the Nerdfitness circuit today that got suggested above, so I used an old textbook that amazon.ca says the shipping weight is 4.5lbs. It's lighter than I would use, I would like to have something closer to 7lbs or maybe 10.

I live in Canada, so milk comes in bags here. And I've only seen OJ in cartons....and I don't have a scale. I guess I'll get a 1L water bottle, that might work ok?