What do you do with clothes that are too big?

Options
Especially nice things (not just t-shirts and sweats) and/or things you only wore once or twice (or maybe not at all)? I would love to recoup some of what I spent on them if possible, to help fund my much-needed new wardrobe!

Replies

• mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Find a good consignment shop. :)
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Can any of them be tailored for your size now? That way you can still keep some of the things you love and save money on your new wardrobe :flowerforyou:
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    Platos closet

I just give mine to people on here or my website that are now int he size i was in
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just give everything away as soon as it's too big. I have one suit that I plan on altering because it's worth it. Otherwise, it's all gone.

This weekend I had a yard sale and I put alot of my "fat" clothes out. I was astonished to see so many women complain that they were too small. (Sizes 12-18) It was sad, yet liberating.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on this same weightloss journey. He is about 40 lbs behind me, so everything goes to him when it's too big for me.
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have a big bon fire this summer and throw them into the fire. Otherwise give to the thrift shop.
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I bet that if you would put pics on here you could get some pple willing to buy. Or try craigslist, or ebay, ect.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i have a couple things , nice, will probably donate to charity
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    For the stuff that's not real dressy, I take them to the nursing home (they specialize in the mentally ill) that I work at. There are always people there in desperate need of clothes. For the professional type clothes, I take them to a consignment shop.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I donated to Red Cross (they helped us out tremendously when we lost everything we owned when our house burned straight down to the ground -- if you have a charity of choice that's always a good option) mostly. A few nicer things I took into a consignment shop here in Phoenix called My Sister's Closet (haven't gone in and gotten anything with my credit yet, waiting till I lose more) And congrats on having clothes that are too big!! That's a great thing!!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You could tailor it, have a yard sale, donate, sell on ebay, swap with friends/family, see if someplace like Plato's Closet would buy any from you... lots of options. I sold an American Eagle halter that was too big on ebay. As long as it's in good shape (name brand helps), ebay would be a great option.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have a big bon fire this summer and throw them into the fire. Otherwise give to the thrift shop.

lol i love this.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I donate them or use them for other things -- patches, pillow cases, book covers, kindle covers.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    If they are designer brands (like high end, not something anybody could buy at TJ Maxx or Marshalls or something) consign them or sell them to a place like Beacon's Closet which "buys" your used designer clothing. You won't get THAT much money for them but you might get at least something!
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is a battered womens shelter that was very important to my dad (he was on the board) and so now I donate everything to them...it honors my dad, it helps out women who've likely left their homes with nothing, and makes me feel good :)

But, I used to try to sell on criagslist...most of the time it's not worth it. people are flakes and want to pay like $10 for a trashbag full of brand new Lane bryant and the like...
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I tailor them myself. For dresspants I just turn them inside out and take them in on both sides straight down the outer seams. Waistband and all. I turned all my clothes from an 18 to a 12. I do the shirts too. Mostly just from the armpit down the side seams. Jeans I. Just do the waistband. I think this all made my $70 sewing machine well worth it.