High Fiber diets

Options
I was recently told that I need to start following a high fiber diet. I don't know the first thing about it. Does anyone have any tips they could offer?

Thanks.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Told by whom? Your doctor?

High fibre is good and healthy for most people. But don't increase too fast, because you'll feel bloated. Add more fibre to your diet gradually.

Also, you should know that there are two kinds of fibre: soluble and insoluble. Both are beneficial for you, but in different ways. Soluble fibre combines with the food you eat to make your stool softer. Insoluble fibre cleans out your digestive tract before being eliminated. You want a mix of both in your diet.

In general, look for whole grains instead of white bread/pasta, add more high fibre fruits and veggies, and add legumes. Some of my favourite high-fibre foods are raspberries and blackberries, lentils, oatmeal (not the instant kind), popcorn (air popped), broccoli, whole wheat bread, and bran cereals.

Here's a good link with info on getting more fibre: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What segacs said, plus in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings change one of your Nutrients Tracked to Fiber so you can see what foods have more or less fiber. I swapped out Sugar for Fiber.

A note on fiber supplements - glucomannan/konjac powder gave me reflux.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Fibre supplements should not be necessary unless you have a specific medical reason for them. It's pretty easy to get plenty of fibre from food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I frequently refer people to this article, to get an all-around education on fiber.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

I suggest gradually increasing the fiber in your diet to avoid unintended results. That is, too much at once and you might get the opposite effect to what you are wanting.

From personal experience, get a variety of fiber sources; not just all-bran. Grain based fibers are all right, but fruit and vegetable insoluble fibers work really well too.

Starting your morning with a bowl of all-bran or a bran bar will give you security you are getting enough.

Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet.

Switch to whole grain rice and breads. Potatoes keep their skin on.

Legumes are great and most of us don't eat enough.

The soluble fibers in oatmeal and chia, pre-soaked before you eat them, provide great staying power and are just, well, wonderfully filling. I kind of love oatmeal. Like, really love it.

I find high protein replacement drinks to be constipating. Adding a little Metamucil, or blending in half a banana, can make all the difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of legumes, lentils, potatoes with skin, oats, barley, quinoa, brown rice, other whole grains and lots of veg and fruit.

last i checked i was averaging around 40 grams of fiber per day.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That's about the worst advice ever! High fiber will just bloat you, and cause constipation. Read the book "Fiber Menace" and go forth and eat no fiber again!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you haven't really had whole-wheat or whole grain etc stuff, you could begin with that. If you're used to having your breads and pastas the regular kind, switch them for whole grain options. You can also try brown rice instead of white. Eat more nuts and seeds!

Eating a bunch of veggies and fruits is also a great way to increase fiber!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Creamette 150 pasta had been wonderful for my family in getting enough fiber. It has 13g in a tiny 2 oz serving! It tastes like ordinary pasta and has a great mouth feel if you cook it properly and rinse well.

I also eat a lot of avocados.