I need help. Workout help, that is..

Options
Hi guys! So I'm freshly new to this. Let me tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Heather, I am 24 years old and I live in Missouri. I'm about 5'1" and about 205lbs. I'm wanting to lose close to 80 lbs. I'm needing some advice on what workouts I should start with. I'm not as flexible as most people due to my size and well I tire easily but I'm willing to try anything. I own a treadmill, some hand weights, and a hula hoop. I also have an Xbox 360 so I can pull up something online if I need too. Any advice on what you suggest starting with? Or any equipment you suggest me investing in? I'm really open to hearing what others have to say. Also feel free to add me.

Replies

• chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Can u get just dance with an xbix, if do I would recommend it, great workout and fun
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow Missourian! There are tons of workouts on YouTube, which I'm pretty sure there is a YouTube app on the Xbox if I'm not mistaken. Fitness Blender is a good one on there. You should be able to find some exercises to use with your weights and probably even your hula hoop! I've also done the Just Dance game that the previous poster mentioned, and it's fun! Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi Heather!
    First I just wanted to say that your eating is way more important than exercising for losing weight. It is too easy to eat a couple of hundred calories too much and undo any burn you may get from exercise.

Having said that, the best exercise is the one you will happily do consistently! Walking is a great place to start - it is low impact, burns calories, and has no learning curve. You can check out Fitness Blender for free workouts online. For strength training, there are some great body-weight workouts for strength-training you can Google, like Nerd Fitness, You are Your Own Gym, or Convict Conditioning.

Cardio burns more calories than strength training, but strength/resistance training is important to retain your muscle mass as you lose.

Good luck!
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm trying to lose 50+ pounds! I'd say start slow and build your way up! I would say maybe do 5 minutes of walking/moderate speed on the treadmill and after the get yourself into a routine, add more minutes at a time.
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,875 Member
    Options
    I agree with other replies - start with some walking and then check out some sites for variety and keeping things exciting! Best of luck to you. Feel free to add me.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Go to Fitness Blender.com and search for level one or two routines, (with or without weights, upper, lower or full body,) and try a couple. Test out a couple. Repeat those you enjoy. Increase your difficulty level as you improve.

Start slow and build from there.

Have fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    first of all, your diet is going to have a far greater impact on your weight loss than what exercise you do. i wouldn't recommend it, but you can lose weight without any exercise whatsoever. that said, exercise is, IMO, pretty essential to overall health and well being and has the added bonus of making weight management easier.

as far as what exercise you do, you want to do something you enjoy...what you decide to do is ultimately not all that important...the important thing is that you're moving and getting your heart rate up for sustained amount of time. i'd also recommend easing yourself into things...a lot of people make the mistake of going from nothing to doing all kinds of crazy exercise.

personally i'd start with the minimum recommendations for general health...150 minutes of moderate aerobic work per week...you can do 30 minutes 5 days per week or do a couple of 60 minute sessions and a 30. this is basically how i started back into things and i just walked early on. as my fitness improved and i became more accustomed to moving, i increased the amount of time i spent...then i added some running...added in some resistance training, etc, etc, etc. i ultimately fell in love with cycling so that's my primary aerobic exercise and i ride roughly 80 miles per week...sometimes more, sometimes less and i hit the weight room 2-3x per week.

just keep in mind that doing too much too soon can actually be detrimental as you increase your risk of injury and you're also more likely to burn out on it. ease into things and find something that you ultimately enjoy doing...doing exercise activities that you enjoy for the most part will help you stick to a routine...you're never going to be 100% motivated all of the time so doing something you enjoy just makes things that much easier.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just wanted at add that flexibility doesn't impact which exercises you can do and is not s function of height. People of every height are flexible and others less flexible. Since this seems to concern you, I suggest that you add
    10 min of gentle stretching at tne end of each workout. It has many benefits and you'll be surprised how quickly you can make progress. I font mean overnight, but after a couple of months you'll prob see s noticeable difference!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    check out bodybuilding.com for some idea's.
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hi Heather!
    First I just wanted to say that your eating is way more important than exercising for losing weight. It is too easy to eat a couple of hundred calories too much and undo any burn you may get from exercise.

Having said that, the best exercise is the one you will happily do consistently! Walking is a great place to start - it is low impact, burns calories, and has no learning curve. You can check out Fitness Blender for free workouts online. For strength training, there are some great body-weight workouts for strength-training you can Google, like Nerd Fitness, You are Your Own Gym, or Convict Conditioning.

Cardio burns more calories than strength training, but strength/resistance training is important to retain your muscle mass as you lose.

Good luck!

Exactly this. Just focus on logging every thing you eat and getting that recommended 10,000 steps a day.

I love fitness blender and nerd fitness, but that's just me.