Cut calories or up my cardio?

Options
Hi! I was wondering which would be more beneficial for me as a method of cutting fat? I lift weights 5-6 days/week, and just want to lose a few lbs (a.k.a that final bit of belly fat :D ) before starting a bulk. I have been eating around maintenance for the last 4 months or so, and weight loss has been very slow but my lifts were progressing well. However, as soon as I tried cutting my calories by ~300 per day, and I felt so much weaker :( Should I try a smaller deficit? Or eat at maintenance and try cardio to lose this fat?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    i would say cut your calories and decrease your weight lifting to four to five times a week and give your body two recovery days. But I would only cut your calories by 250 a day which should translate to half pound per week loss.

curious as to what program you are running that has you lifting weights 5-6 times a day?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think that both cutting food or upping cardio are going to impact your lifting progress. You could try a smaller deficit.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Whichever you will fine easiest and will best promote adherence for the time it requires to cut the fat.

No point upping the cardio if it's going to make you eat the world, and no point cutting calories if it's not sustainable.

Both will work in the end, they'll create a negative energy balance, but for me it'd be choosing the easiest and the one I could stick with

As above, you may want to cut days/volume/weight a bit.
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i would say cut your calories and decrease your weight lifting to four to five times a week and give your body two recovery days. But I would only cut your calories by 250 a day which should translate to half pound per week loss.

curious as to what program you are running that has you lifting weights 5-6 times a day?

5-6 times a week, not day :smile: lol I can't imagine what routine would have me in the gym 6 times a day :D:p
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sophzhr wrote: »

5-6 times a week, not day :smile: lol I can't imagine what routine would have me in the gym 6 times a day :D:p

yes, that was a typo sorry. I am still curious what program you are running hat is calling for 5-6 days of weight training...?
  • sophzhr
    sophzhr Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sophzhr wrote: »

yes, that was a typo sorry. I am still curious what program you are running hat is calling for 5-6 days of weight training...?

Ah I see. I train with a PT most weeks, and we generally split the days into legs, shoulders, back/bis, chest, and then a day which will consist of either circuit training/plyometric work/olympic lifting skills. Sometimes I train legs twice a week, but it's rare. Hope this was clear :smile: