Really struggling this holiday season

Options
Hi guys, I have been having a very difficult time this holiday season sticking to my calorie goals. I just find that there is food everywhere, particularly my office. Yes, I know no one is making me eat, but when cookies and fudge and candy is sitting out at the coffee station and by the doors all day, it is making it very hard to not graze. I'm still exercising pretty well but am eating way too much, and have started skipping dinner (and will probably skip lunch as well today).

Anyone else having a hard time? How are you keeping up your spirits? I know I need to remember that this is just a difficult time of year, that once we're past this week the food will go away (as my office will be closed and I don't keep such food at home), and that weight loss is not linear, bumps in the road are to be expected. But I'm definitely disheartened and anxious.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You could try switching to a slower weight loss or just maintain weight through the holidays. That way you don't have to skip meals due to snacking.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    When tempting treats are around I plan for what I call my "daily indulgence". I work it into my day where I scan all the treats that are available and decide which treat is by far superior to the other treats (example: meh reeses I can have all year, but homemade Christmas cookie with personalized icing as an adorable reindeer-I'm in!). Once you have your favorite, set it aside and wait until after either lunch or your afternoon snack so you're not super hungry. Once you've got filling food in your system, enjoy the treat and know that tomorrow you get to pick a whole new treat!

Rinse and repeat until the holiday season is over. It helps me prevent binging and allows me to enjoy the holiday season mindfully. I hope it works for you as well!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Not every treat is created equal and some are worth indulging in and others aren't. My co worker is bring in cookies that are her grandmothers recipe. I am saving calories so I can have a couple of them. There is also a tin of store bought cookies and candies which really isn't as good. I am staying away from those. Be a food snob.
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    When tempting treats are around I plan for what I call my "daily indulgence". I work it into my day where I scan all the treats that are available and decide which treat is by far superior to the other treats (example: meh reeses I can have all year, but homemade Christmas cookie with personalized icing as an adorable reindeer-I'm in!). Once you have your favorite, set it aside and wait until after either lunch or your afternoon snack so you're not super hungry. Once you've got filling food in your system, enjoy the treat and know that tomorrow you get to pick a whole new treat!

Rinse and repeat until the holiday season is over. It helps me prevent binging and allows me to enjoy the holiday season mindfully. I hope it works for you as well!

I like this idea. We have Hershey's Kisses in a candy dish here, and they are definitely not worth it. I'll hold out for something I'd enjoy much more.